No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathway analysis of Differentially expressed genes

Dear all,
    I am new to the field of RNA-seq analysis. I used Tophat and the Cufflinks/Cuffdiff to get the differentially expressed genes.I had two conditions a wild type and tumor. I wanted to now do the Pathway analysis and determine which genes are up and down regulated for the PI3K/AKT/mTor pathways in the tumor . What should be the approach from here?. Also , I have the cuff diff output but I was not sure which one of the files would I be using for the Pathway analysis.
    I am naive to this field and so I apologize for the basic nature of the questions?.
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Himanshu Sharma.

Hi Himanshu,
    We've done similar work ourselves.
    What we did was map each differentially-expressed gene onto their respective Enzyme Commission accession (EC). Doing so was quite helpful because as you know, KEGG uses KO and/or EC accessions in their pathways. KEGG also has mTOR signaling; you noted you're interested in that pathway.
    You could then use tools such as KeggAtlas, DAVID, Paice, SubPathwayMiner... just to name a few. These tools interface your dataset with KEGG pathways.
    If the tools above do not do what you're looking for, you may want to build your own custom solution via the KEGG web-service API... it's well documented and available for many popular programming languages.
    Hope this was helpful.
    Last edited by phoss; 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Dear phoss,
      Thanks a lot for the reply . It is very helpful indeed. Although I wanted to know how did you map each DE to their Enzyme commission accession?. I know I need EC as it is compatible with KEGG and GO gives me Uniprot Id's. So what exactly did you use ?. It will be really greatful If you could give me some leads.
      Thanks,
      Himanshu Sharma.

Comment

Hi Himanshu,
        Glad it was helpful.
        We obtained accession-to-EC mappings via biomart. If however such mappings do not exist for your model, you could use uniprot by running uniprot BLAST against your DEGs. This is handy because a good-number of their accessions have ECs. EBI and GOA are good resources too.

In-case you're wondering, we had good results with DAVD and the KEGG api (both java and python). We've used / had good results with KEGGAnnotator, KEGGanim, paice and DAVID. PathRender in R is pretty-neat too. I actually developed paice ~2yrs ago but it's always good to try other tools and use the one best-suited for the job. We developed paice to help with gene-family visualization since some ECs occur in multiple copies but yet have different expression values.

KEGG tools have been exhaustively studied so you'll have access to many tools / resources. Have you checked out other databases such as Metacyc or Reactome?

Comment

Dear Phoss,
          Thanks again for your help. It is really useful. Now I had a few questions if you dont mind. I have approximately 1200 genes which are significant and my model is mouse (mus musculus). So is there a way to get the EC of all 1200 genes together because it will be very long and tedious to do it one by one. Also, if you could guide me a bit to obtain EC from the gene name via Biomart.
          Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it .
          Thanks,
          Himanshu Sharma.

Comment

Hi Himanshu,
            I personally have not worked with M. musculus but I recall a well-known mouse resource to be 'Mouse Genome Informatics' (MGI).
            You could use MGI Biomart (under Analysis Tools) to mine-out GO mappings for your DEGs and then map such GO accessions against GO->EC mappings from http://www.geneontology.org/external2go/ec2go
            Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not see any EC retrieval-option @ MGI-BioMart. If you have GO accessions, you could easily cross-link it with EC accessions nonetheless.
            All the above info is pretty-much enclosed in the EBI-GOA page: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA/downloads.html

Comment

I am working with chicken RNAseq dataset. I completed my analysis with cuffdiff and have a list of DE genes. How can I do about finding if these genes are involved in a pathway? Can I use the diff_gene file from cuffdiff for pathway analysis?

Comment

hi Phoss
                Thank you for your guidance towards pathway analysis of my deferentially expressed RNA-seq genes. However, as a beginner to pathway analysis, I would like to know details with protocol. Can you please give me some link of study material so I can study and follow the same.

I need to learn every steps of the same.
                Thanks again.

Comment

anybody got answer ? I am also waiting ?

Comment

If you know R, GAGE/Pathview workflow in Bioconductor can do the pathway analysis with your data. It works for both RNA-seq and microarray data. No mapping to EC is needed, and no pre-selection or filtering of genes either.

Here is an example workflow: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioco...ly/054021.html
                    The packages are available at:
                    GAGE is a published method for gene set (enrichment or GSEA) or pathway analysis. GAGE is generally applicable independent of microarray or RNA-Seq data attributes including sample sizes, experimental designs, assay platforms, and other types of heterogeneity, and consistently achieves superior performance over other frequently used methods. In gage package, we provide functions for basic GAGE analysis, result processing and presentation. We have also built pipeline routines for of multiple GAGE analyses in a batch, comparison between parallel analyses, and combined analysis of heterogeneous data from different sources/studies. In addition, we provide demo microarray data and commonly used gene set data based on KEGG pathways and GO terms. These funtions and data are also useful for gene set analysis using other methods.

Pathview is a tool set for pathway based data integration and visualization. It maps and renders a wide variety of biological data on relevant pathway graphs. All users need is to supply their data and specify the target pathway. Pathview automatically downloads the pathway graph data, parses the data file, maps user data to the pathway, and render pathway graph with the mapped data. In addition, Pathview also seamlessly integrates with pathway and gene set (enrichment) analysis tools for large-scale and fully automated analysis.

Some example graphic outputs here:
                    Last edited by bigmw; 08-30-2013, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hi charitra & jp,

Once you have your list of genes either up or down regulated obtained from either RNA seq or microarray,
                      you can go to DAVID
                      and put your list of genes in Start Analysis options,
                      select the option usually official gene symbol & proceed for the analysis.

Good luck

Comment

Dear bigmw and vishnuamaram
                        Thank you for your kind guidance. However, I am not able to use both of the programs (pathview and DAVID). For the pathview, I followed the tutorial successfuly. But not with my sample.
                        My main problem is that I have RNA-seq cuff_data_diff_gene.txt or original files. I really can not upload into either programs.
                        Any help ?

Comment

You haven’t really followed the GAGE/pathview workflow for RNA-seq data, where you don’t really need Cufflinks/Cuffdiff, just map the raw reads using tophat:

I would suggest you go through that first. You can’t input arbitrary data and ask the programs to figure it out for you. You may also want to read the GAGE/pathview documentation first.
                          I am not familiar with Cufflinks/Cuffdiff and its output. I assume it is a list of significant genes with certain p-value cutoff. To be able to use GAGE/pathview, you will need:
                          1. a list of all genes (usually thousands or tens of thousands entries) with its differential expression score, like fold change, t-statstics etc.
                          2 read that list into R as a vector or a 1-column matrix named with Gene IDs (Entrez Gene, Gene symbol etc). You may want to check functions “read.delim” or “read.table” for how to do this.
                          3 make sure you know enough R

You may want to to collaborate with a bioinformatician if you are not sure how to do these.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                          0 responses