Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bam-readcount usage

Hi, could someone tell me what is the proper way to run bam-readcount (for later use with the VarScan2 fpfilter.pl?)
    Specifically, what should be the "list of regions to report readcounts within" (-l parameter): the SNPs found (from .vcf file)? the exome .bed file?
    And how is the "optional region specificaton" different?
    An example of a command-line call to bam-readcount would also be useful.
    Thank you!
    - Elena

Hi Elena,

You should use the SNPs found for your import to -l. The file should be tab separated, and contain chr start stop in 1-based (as in VCF not BED) coordinates for both start and stop. This is similar to the optional region specification except that it handles multiple sites at once and that the format for the optional region specification is the same as that for samtools view.

This command would filter out bases below BQ of 15 and report counts for each site in the varscan.positions file.

Code:
    bam-readcount -b 15 -f reference.fa -l varscan.positions some.bam
    This command prints the counts for position 10000 on chromosome 1 of the reference sequence.

Code:
    bam-readcount -b 15 -f reference.fa some.bam 1:10000-10000
    This command prints counts for all of chromosome 1.

Code:
    bam-readcount -b 15 -f reference.fa some.bam 1
    This command prints counts from position 10000 of chromosome 1 to its end.

Code:
    bam-readcount -b 15 -f reference.fa some.bam 1:10000
    Hope that helps,

Dave

Comment

Thanks.
      So the -b value should be what the user considers to be a reasonable cutoff?

Comment

Yes, I would recommend that users choose -q and -b cutoffs that they consider reasonable. As this depends on how the data is being used, I have not set defaults on the program itself.

Comment

Error while using bam-readcount

I have tumor-normal sample and I have high confidence somatic calls from Varscan which I then filtered using Somatic filter. I wish to use Bam-read count on them and then use the fpfilter to bring it down to most confident set of calls.
          I am not able to understand which bam file should I give since this is a combination of normal-tumor.
          Also, I tried to use the tumor file but it gave me an error saying single quality mapping not found. Check if SM group present in the bam file.
          What should I be doing for making it work?.
          I am a newbie to varscan and any help will be much appreciated.
          Also, I must tell you that I am running it on RNA seq data from Mice models.
          Thanks,
          Himanshu

Comment

Hi Himanshu,

You should use the tumor BAM file only. You can also safely ignore the errors about the single end mapping quality, it will not affect your filtering results. There is a fix to report this only once in the current source, but we have not yet released a new stable version.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses