Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Computer to Buy?

Hi, Our lab is planning to buy a computer that would be dedicated primarily to the bioinformatic analysis. We will be doing lots of deep-sequencing data analysis including Blasting, reference genome mapping etc.

I would like to request the experts here to please suggest a basic configuration for the computer, particularly the processor, OS, RAM, graphics card. We would prefer to use Windows OS but if someone really prefers Linux, no problems.

Thanks a lot in advance

Originally posted by polsum View Post
    Hi, Our lab is planning to buy a computer that would be dedicated primarily to the bioinformatic analysis. We will be doing lots of deep-sequencing data analysis including Blasting, reference genome mapping etc.

I would like to request the experts here to please suggest a basic configuration for the computer, particularly the processor, OS, RAM, graphics card. We would prefer to use Windows OS but if someone really prefers Linux, no problems.

Thanks a lot in advance
    Linux, 32GB RAM, dual-quad AMD, 2TB of disk, and a low powered GPU.

The reasoning for Linux is that academic bioinformatic programs use Linux, where you can always run vmware (or in some cases wine) to run windows program.

Some NGS applications need >16Gb of RAM, with a lot of CPU. Also the data coming off Illumina/SOLiD data requires a lot of storage, so 2TB is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post

The reasoning for Linux is that academic bioinformatic programs use Linux, where you can always run vmware (or in some cases wine) to run windows program.

Some NGS applications need >16Gb of RAM, with a lot of CPU. Also the data coming off Illumina/SOLiD data requires a lot of storage, so 2TB is a must.
      Thank you very much for the reply. Is there a significant advantage in having dual-Quad AMD over dual-quad Xeon processor?

Comment

Originally posted by polsum View Post
        Thank you very much for the reply. Is there a significant advantage in having dual-Quad AMD over dual-quad Xeon processor?
        I was just thinking cost. The Nehelem processors are the best (20% faster for my multi-threading applications).

Comment

Memory, memory, memory....

Memory will depend on the size of the genomes that you are working with. With 32 GB of memory you can do bacterial genomes up to 10 Mb, assuming that you have ~10 million 35bp single-end reads. If you want to do genomes in the 30-50 Mb range you may need 64-128 Gb of memory and for plants you a looking at $ 1 TB $ . Also, you have to plan on how are you going to store your data and the always essential backups and consider that this type of machines run better in temperature-controlled rooms, they like it cold .

Comment

Originally posted by allo View Post
            Memory will depend on the size of the genomes that you are working with. With 32 GB of memory you can do bacterial genomes up to 10 Mb, assuming that you have ~10 million 35bp single-end reads. If you want to do genomes in the 30-50 Mb range you may need 64-128 Gb of memory and for plants you a looking at $ 1 TB $ . Also, you have to plan on how are you going to store your data and the always essential backups and consider that this type of machines run better in temperature-controlled rooms, they like it cold .
            With reference genome mapping, for example Human, 32GB should suffice. For assembly of larger genomes, I agree, you need a pretty beefy computer but I don't think this was the original intention.

Nils

Comment

The Nehelem processors are the best (20% faster for my multi-threading applications).
              The Intel i7 (Nehalem) processors have another advantage. The SSE2 SIMD pipeline is full width, whereas in previous Core2 CPUs it was half width. This means that i7 can execute SSE2 instructions in a single cycle. This would make SSE2-aware software such as SHRIMP much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Torst View Post
                The Intel i7 (Nehalem) processors have another advantage. The SSE2 SIMD pipeline is full width, whereas in previous Core2 CPUs it was half width. This means that i7 can execute SSE2 instructions in a single cycle. This would make SSE2-aware software such as SHRIMP much faster.
                The funny thing about compilers is that at full optimization (say gcc -O3), they do a pretty good job of automatically doing vectorization, loop optimization, as well as taking advantage of specific instruction sets. If you really want optimized code, you could go as far as buy Intel's own compiler, which in some cases can produce another 20-30% faster code.

Nils

Comment

I need a powerful one
                  Rượu vang nhập khẩu: https://www.topruouvang.com/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses