SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
App 16S metagenomics basespace illumina- rarefaction curves Vale16S Metagenomics 1 09-15-2014 12:12 PM
16s some qiime questions litali Bioinformatics 7 09-02-2014 08:33 AM
454 16S data from QIIME - what next? Elsie Metagenomics 0 08-07-2013 06:47 PM
QIIME constraints and time to run for 16S Illumina danwiththeplan Metagenomics 4 03-27-2013 02:24 PM
QIIME constraints and time to run for 16S Illumina danwiththeplan Bioinformatics 0 03-26-2013 02:46 PM

Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
illuminaGA

Default Qiime vs illumina basespace 16s pipeline, Which is better?

Hello everyone, we currently handle a 16 project which analyzed by QIime and illumina basespace 16s app. The results are quite different. I googled and didn't find any information about comparing those two pipelines.

For now, we found out that the reference(GG vs sliva) and similarity(99 vs 97) are different.

I am wondering that if someone had experience about those two pipelines could give me some pointers about other parameters of something else may cause the differents and how to troubleshoot.

Thank you in advance.
illuminaGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
thermophile

I've only used the Illumina pipeline once (for that matter I prefer mothur to qiime). The Illumina pipeline is a total black box, do you trust every decision they made for you but didn't document? When I used it, it seemed to just be a taxonomic matching against a database (blast? maybe) rather than OTU based

Check out the mothur miseq SOP for guidelines. Feel free to use my batch file which is based on that SOP https://github.com/krmaas/bioinforma...r/mothur.batch

Last edited by thermophile; 06-23-2017 at 11:44 AM.
thermophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
illuminaGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermophile View Post
I've only used the Illumina pipeline once (for that matter I prefer mothur to qiime). The Illumina pipeline is a total black box, do you trust every decision they made for you but didn't document? When I used it, it seemed to just be a taxonomic matching against a database (blast? maybe) rather than OTU based

Check out the mothur miseq SOP for guidelines. Feel free to use my batch file which is based on that SOP https://github.com/krmaas/bioinforma...r/mothur.batch
Thank you so much.

Is the mothur the best pipeline currently?
illuminaGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #4
thermophile

Is the Atlantic ocean the best ocean? I don't think best exists.

I prefer mothur because it is very transparent with methods used and simple to install on any OS (there are a few scientific reasons I like mothur related to clustering 16s based on alignment rather than pairwise but qiime has incorporated most of those these days). I also don't like "pipelines" because that seems to be code for people who don't want to go through the bother of understanding how their sequences are processed.

Tags
16s, app, basespace, qiime