Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQC analysis

Hi everyone, I am new to NGS analysis and trying my best to analyse a file of staphylococcus aureus. I would like you to give some suggestions about the quality of data produced by Fastqc concering my images if possible.

Thank you very much .

I have attached the images in a zip file.
    Attached Files

I suggest you post the images inline, as no one in their right mind will click on that attachment.

Comment

hi, they are my analysis and are not found on the web, so I cannot insert the image directly.

Sorry about that but I cannot do otherwise

Comment

Hi,

The two plots you include look relatively normal, but the most important one is the per base quality graph.

If you post that one, we could give you a better assessment.

Best,
        Dave
        Dave Messina PhD | Director of Analysis | Cofactor Genomics
        3141 Olive St. | St. Louis, MO 63103 | tel (314) 531-4647
        Join us for our De Novo Assembly Webinar on May 31st

Comment

Originally posted by pari_89 View Post
          hi, they are my analysis and are not found on the web, so I cannot insert the image directly.

Sorry about that but I cannot do otherwise
          You can use the "go advanced" edit mode when you post. There you will find a "paper clip" like icon that will allow you to upload files from your local computer and attach them to your post inline.

Now a days clicking on a "zip" file on a public forum does seem a bit risky
          Last edited by GenoMax; 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Hi,

The two plots you include look relatively normal, but the most important one is the per base quality graph.

If you post that one, we could give you a better assessment.

Here is the per base quality graph as requested

Thank you.
            Attached Files

Comment

Are these Ion torrent reads? Till about 150 bp the median scores are above 25 (e.g. 1 error every ~500 bp) so in that sense this not a great run but it is probably not very bad either.

If you are trying to align to a reference genome you may still be able to use the bases past 150 cycles. If your intended application is something else then you may have to consider trimming the 3' ends.

Comment

Are these Ion torrent reads? Till about 150 bp the median scores are above 25 (e.g. 1 error every ~500 bp) so in that sense this not a great run but it is probably not very bad either.

If you are trying to align to a reference genome you may still be able to use the bases past 150 cycles. If your intended application is something else then you may have to consider trimming the 3' ends.

Yes, these are ion torrent data and I need to use them for assembly. My task is to choose the best assembling tool. So do you recommend me trimming the the low quality reads?? like for e.g Quality score<20.

Thank you.

Comment

Why not try to align to the available S. aureus genomes to get an idea of what the error rate may be in your reads. If you start finding that the ends of the reads are consistently not aligning then you can start trimming/removing entire reads if they have bad quality overall.

Since this is a bacterial genome you have the luxury of trying assembly multiple ways (trim or not).

This appears to be a good tutorial and should be useful for what you are trying to do.

Comment

Why not try to align to the available S. aureus genomes to get an idea of what the error rate may be in your reads. If you start finding that the ends of the reads are consistently not aligning then you can start trimming/removing entire reads if they have bad quality overall.

Since this is a bacterial genome you have the luxury of trying assembly multiple ways (trim or not).

This appears to be a good tutorial and should be useful for what you are trying to do.
                    Thank you. I will try to do that but do you think that mapping tools can help as well. Is it better to align reads to a reference or contigs to a reference genome?

Thank you.

Comment

You might want to have a look at MIRA for both denovo assembly and mapping of your data. Very well documented, very helpful mailing list and author.

Download MIRA for free. MIRA - Sequence assembler and sequence mapping for whole genome shotgun and EST / RNASeq sequencing data. Can use Sanger, 454, Illumina and IonTorrent data.

You don't need any extra trimming tool for your data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                      0 responses