No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mRNAseq, single or paired?

Hi,

We are running a RNA-seq experiment to evaluate differential gene expression in different biological groups using Illumina. We already have some transcriptomic data for this species generated with a 454 sequencer.
    Is it necessary to sequence paired-end data or, because we already have some good reference, single-end is the best strategy to use. I know that paired-end reads are better for de novo assembly, but I was wondering if they could have some advantages to evaluate gene expression profiles apart from the assembly step. Moreover, even if we have some transcriptomic data, the fact to have paired-end data and create a mixed assembly (with reference and de novo) could help to catch more ESTs. In conclusion, our doubt is if it is worth to spend more money to generate paired-end reads considering the benefits we could have for our experiment.

Thanks

I would definitely go with PE as that is the general direction RNA-Seq data analysis software seems to be taking. In the first year or so after RNA-Seq was introduced, PE data was generally just treated as single end unless your lab had some talented bioinformatics folks available. These days a lot more off-the-shelf software actually uses the PE information (which is indeed a powerful layer of the data), so I use PE runs for all my libraries now.

Comment

I got very good results for differential expression on a plant genome for samples exposed to various treatments using single end 50bp reads.
      If DE is all you need to do, I think single end would be fine.

Comment

It really depends on what you want to do with the data. Are you just looking for differential expression? If so, SE will likely be enough, if you have other goals, then PE will be better.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses