Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question about Bridge amplification/insert size

I have another question about the bridge amplification / optimal insert size which is similar to the one asked by BTS about a week ago.

I know that the Illumina recommended insert size is around 150-300 bp (for single-read). And in the previous thread people mentioned that longer inserts worked well too. My question is that how short the insert can be? I only plan to use an isert with a size of about 60bp. Is this doable? Anybody has any experience?

Any input will be appreciated.
    Last edited by chenbati; 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM.

I think a 60bp insert would be removed through the library making clean-up processes. Why so short?

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
      I think a 60bp insert would be removed through the library making clean-up processes. Why so short?
      Thanks for your reply!

It is a complicated story. In my experiment, I will synthesize a complex ssDNA library (each sequence will be around 150mer) with adapters and sequencing primers designed in. So I will generate clusters using the ssDNA library directly and won't have any library preparation step.

I won't use the sequencer to do sequencing, instead, I will use it to count the number of clusters generated on the flowcell.

BTW, It should be OK if I start with ssDNA for cluster generation, right? cause for regular libraries, we have to denature them first. And based on what I understand, one sequence is enough for cluster formation for single-read sequencing.

Comment

Well, if you're generating the ssDNA with everything already on there, it ought to work.

I gotta ask: Why are you generating flowcells of synthetic DNA just to count them? Would qPCR not work?

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
          Well, if you're generating the ssDNA with everything already on there, it ought to work.

I gotta ask: Why are you generating flowcells of synthetic DNA just to count them? Would qPCR not work?
          qPCR won't work if you are interested in 50k different sequences at the same time.

I wish I didn't have to do the sequencing - expensive, and not sure if it will work as the sequencer is not designed for this.

Comment

Originally posted by chenbati View Post
            I only plan to use an isert with a size of about 60bp. Is this doable?
            As I have occasionally observed primer dimers in my data that is evidence that you can amplify clusters with 0bp inserts. This was confirmed by an Illumina scientist as well. They wondered what the lower limit of insert length was for bridged amplification but upon observing primer dimers they concluded that the primers themselves provided enough length and flexibility for the bridged PCR.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
              As I have occasionally observed primer dimers in my data that is evidence that you can amplify clusters with 0bp inserts. This was confirmed by an Illumina scientist as well. They wondered what the lower limit of insert length was for bridged amplification but upon observing primer dimers they concluded that the primers themselves provided enough length and flexibility for the bridged PCR.
              This is great to know! I then feel more comfortable starting my experiments. Thank you, kmcarr!

Comment

Have you considered using a nanodrop to quantify your DNA concentration?

Comment

Hi,
                  I have libraries of insert size of about 600bp. I'm quantifing them by qPCR. Those are amplification free libraries, so I gess I may have same fragments wihout adapters and so on. Unfortunatelly comparing molarity from bioanalyzer and from qPCR are incosistent: qPCR shows two times lower amount. I'm wondering which is more likely: I have samples with not fully constructed fragments or amplification efficiency is that much lower with longer fragments. I'm affraid of overclustering, using results from qPCR, however I do not want to loose money by less density.

Does anyone has similar expirience?

Comment

I would trust qPCR over the BA since the Bioanalyzer doesn't differentiate between ligated and non-ligated material.
                    Josh Kinman

Comment

jdk787, thank you for your resposne. Have you got any expirience with lower concentration from qPCR due to too short elongation time and how does it corresponds to amplifiaction on machine?

Comment

If qPCR suggest 2x less concentrated Library then you ligation based library prep is successful as most kits ligation efficiency is 20-30%.

Using shorter time for qPCR cycling steps would reduce amplification efficiency due to incomplete denaturation, extension or inefficient primer binding resulting in lower signal and quantity.

Comment

The final answer for my problem is even more complicated, as I found out that my actual library size is different, as T-shaped adapters cause higher migration of libraries, as it is shown in TruSeq PCR-free manual... So real concentration is sth between and I have to asume library size or I should check it by testing amplification product size.

I hope it will help someone in the future.

Comment

One thing we have found to be helpful is to clean up and run the qPCR products out on our Tapestation. This way you know exactly what size of product you have in your analysis.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses