Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quatification of tRNA-derived RNA fragments (tRFs) ?

Hi,

In the lab we are analyzing tRNA-derived RNA fragments. My boss needs to quantify these fragments in different conditions (Presymptomatic ALS and Symptomatic ALS) to check if there are some fragments differentially expressed.

The model is Mus musculus (mm10).

The main problem is that most of the tRNA genes are redundants. Therefore, when the reads that were generated from these genes are mapped, the program (bowtie) assigns them randomly, or reports all the sites (depending on the configuration), causing bias in the cuatification.

Is there a less biased way for quantifying tRNA-derived RNA fragments?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by diego diaz; 01-19-2015, 05:04 AM.

Hi Diego,

I'm having the same problem now, but need to quantify tRNA fragments for a different purpose. I was thinking of making a tRNA "genome" based on the consensus sequences of each tRNA isoacceptor so that each tRNA is only present once. My goal is that tRNA reads would only have one place to map to. I don't think it's ideal but it's the best I have so far.

Have you, or has anyone else, resolved this?

Comment

@RNA: Not sure if it would directly help but take a look at this paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep07675#methods

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply GenoMax. That's definitely helpful.

Comment

For anyone else interested:

tDRMapper: http://bmcbioinformatics.biomedcentr...859-015-0800-0

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses