Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever attended NEB Molecular Biology Summer Workshop or similar?

I am a postdoc doing 100% computational biology in a big genomics research institute. I have zero hands-on wetlab experience.

More and more I think it would be good if I'd gain some wetlab experience. I have little interest or motivation to actually do much wet-lab experiments later in my career. There might be situations were it's good to be able to do it by myself when there is no wet-lab researcher free who would do experiments for me. But the main motivation is simply, I have difficulties following our team-internal discussions when it gets technical. Also, I feel unable right now to design new experiments to generate data which I can then analyze to answer my scientific questions.

"My" institute of course has wetlab facilities but there is no-one who could train me, as this would take away their work time.

One thing I found is this: Molecular Biology Summer Workshop by New England Biomedicine:

This is the default text for fallback 404 continue text

Has anyone here on SEQanswers attended this workshop? Is it any good?

Or, are you aware of similar (or even better) workshops? Does not need to be in the US as I am not located in the US anyway (I work in Japan).

If the NEB workshop is good and I decide to do it, I will need to convince my PI to shell out ~6000$ to let me attend it. Does anyone have an idea how to argue that it's worth it (i.e. that this particular course is better than others), or how to fund it?
    Last edited by Azazel; 02-07-2012, 03:15 AM. Reason: typos

If you would like to travel to Melbourne, Australia, there is a Recombinant DNA Techniques Course run by Micromon at Monash University:

This is a one week intensive training course in basic molecular biology, including over 30 hours of wet lab work and 10 hours of lecture material. The course is quite reasonably priced at around AU$1800 and this includes morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea on each day of the course.

Disclaimer: I work at the next-gen sequencing facility at Micromon :-)

Cheers,

Scott.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses