No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Finding

Hi All,

I am trying to identify genes in a specific pathway from an unannotated draft genome assembly?
    Below are the details of what I have:
    1.I have identified orthologs for the genes of interest
    2.I have also identified the putative gene regions in my assembly

Now,
    How do I identify gene duplicates and missing regions in my predicted gene?
    I am a little confused because I have a list of nearly 70 genes to identify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At the most basic, you'll want to use TBLASTN to search the protein sequences of your collection of pathway members vs. the contigs from the reference genome.

Identifying which hits are really the same thing (but from incompletely assembled regions) and which are paralogs/pseudogenes will take a bunch of work. In some cases, mate pair/paired end information may be available to assist in inferring which contigs are near each other in the genome. Similarly, frameshifts and other sequencing/assembly errors are likely to be present & may require close inspection to distinguish biology from artifact.

Ideally, you would have access to DNA from that genome & the resources to do some PCR & sequencing experiments to test hypotheses as to which fragments belong together.

Comment

Thanks

Thankyou....Let me see how it goes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses