X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie: ?'s about h_sapiens_37_asm index/outputs

Hello,

1)
    I have a questions about bowtie's "h_sapiens_37_asm" index.
    For the human genome, the concise reference sequences are numbered 0 to 24. I
    assume these numbers represent chromosomes. Is 0 chromosome 1? What about X,
    Y, and the M?

bowtie -z -f h_sapiens_37asm --concise reads/seq_human.fa human_map

2)
    I am also confused about the localization of the 5' end of the read.

According to the dafault output description, the fourth column shows the
    "0-based offset into the forward reference strand where leftmost character of
    the alignment occurs."

If you don't use the concise option ...

if a read is mapped 5' to 3' from position 1000 to 1035,
    the fourth column should be 1000, right?

If a read is mapped 5' to 3' from position 1035 to 1000,
    will the fourth column be 1035 or 1000?
    I think this means the fourth column will be 1000.
    If this is the case, is there an "option" so that I can make it 1035 instead of 1000?

Thanks,
    Clayton

Hi Clayton,

Sorry - I saw your email and meant to reply immediately but it's probably better to reply here anyway...

Originally posted by cutcopy11 View Post
    1)
    I have a questions about bowtie's "h_sapiens_37_asm" index.
    For the human genome, the concise reference sequences are numbered 0 to 24. I
    assume these numbers represent chromosomes. Is 0 chromosome 1? What about X,
    Y, and the M?

bowtie -z -f h_sapiens_37asm --concise reads/seq_human.fa human_map
    It's 0=chr1, 1=chr2, ..., 21=chr22, 22=X, 23=Y, 24=MT. Not wanting anyone to have to contend with these numbers is one of the reasons I'm likely to deprecate --concise soon (I've already deprecated -b/--bin).

Originally posted by cutcopy11 View Post
    2)
    I am also confused about the localization of the 5' end of the read.

According to the dafault output description, the fourth column shows the
    "0-based offset into the forward reference strand where leftmost character of
    the alignment occurs."

If you don't use the concise option ...

if a read is mapped 5' to 3' from position 1000 to 1035,
    the fourth column should be 1000, right?

If a read is mapped 5' to 3' from position 1035 to 1000,
    will the fourth column be 1035 or 1000?
    I think this means the fourth column will be 1000.
    If this is the case, is there an "option" so that I can make it 1035 instead of 1000?

Thanks,
    Clayton
    You're right that it will be 1000 in both cases. There's no option to invert that for reads on the reverse strand, but it's easy to convert Bowtie's output to your desired output with a little postprocessing. An example:

$ ./bowtie --quiet -c e_coli GGTGCGTTACTGTGGCACTTCGNCCTGATGTGGAT,GCATTTTTTTCGCCAGCCAGGCTTTCGCTTTGGGT
    0 - gi|110640213|ref|NC_008253.1| 4769855 ATCCACATCAGGNCGAAGTGCCACAGTAACGCACC IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0 22:G>N
    1 + gi|110640213|ref|NC_008253.1| 2365447 GCATTTTTTTCGCCAGCCAGGCTTTCGCTTTGGGT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0
    $ ./bowtie --quiet -c e_coli GGTGCGTTACTGTGGCACTTCGNCCTGATGTGGAT,GCATTTTTTTCGCCAGCCAGGCTTTCGCTTTGGGT | awk -v OFS='\t' '{if($2 == "-") {$4 += (length($5)-1)} ; print $0}'
    0 - gi|110640213|ref|NC_008253.1| 4769889 ATCCACATCAGGNCGAAGTGCCACAGTAACGCACC IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0 22:G>N
    1 + gi|110640213|ref|NC_008253.1| 2365447 GCATTTTTTTCGCCAGCCAGGCTTTCGCTTTGGGT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0
    Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses