X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmomatic Unpaired files

Hi,

I run the following command in Trimmomatic:
    java -jar /home/devgen/bin/trimmomatic-0.36.jar PE -phred33 C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1.fastq C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2.fastq N6_F_P.fastq N6_F_U.fastq N6_R_P.fastq N6_R_U.fastq ILLUMINACLIP:adapters/TruSeq3-PE.fa:2:30:10 MINLEN:25 AVGQUAL:20 -trimlog N6L3.log

Am I running it correctly?

I have RNASeq Paired end data from HiSEq2500.

The output looks like this:

TrimmomaticPE: Started with arguments:
    -phred33 C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R1.fastq C95VLANXX-2046D-01-01-01_L003_R2.fastq N6_F_P.fastq N6_F_U.fastq N6_R_P.fastq N6_R_U.fastq ILLUMINACLIP:adapters/TruSeq3-PE.fa:2:30:10 MINLEN:25 AVGQUAL:20 -trimlog N6L3.log
    Using PrefixPair: 'TACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT' and 'GTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTGTGCTCTTCCGATCT'
    ILLUMINACLIP: Using 1 prefix pairs, 0 forward/reverse sequences, 0 forward only sequences, 0 reverse only sequences
    Input Read Pairs: 16228554 Both Surviving: 12432585 (76.61%) Forward Only Surviving: 3793730 (23.38%) Reverse Only Surviving: 1926 (0.01%) Dropped: 313 (0.00%)
    TrimmomaticPE: Completed successfully

---------
    Is it normal to get only 76% surviving in both reads? What do I do with the upaired ones? Unpaired forward file has 23% of reads which is quiet a lot. Should I just leave this file and only use paired-survived file for alignment with tophat2?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Any suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Well... if I recall correctly, the default behavior of Trimmomatic when adapters are discovered is to drop one of the reads, because it will simply be the reverse-complement of its mate. I think it is possible to disable this behavior, which would make things simpler as you would then have only paired reads as output. The default behavior of BBDuk when adapter-trimming is to trim and output both reads in the pair, so that you don't end up with singletons unnecessarily.

You CAN use both the paired and singleton reads for alignment - and generally, you should, unless you already have plenty of coverage - but it's even better, in my opinion, to simply not discard mates in the first place when you don't have to.

Comment

Thanks. I did not understand this when you say trimmomatic keeps paired reads when option keepbothreads is set to 'true'.could you please graphically explain what it does? I am new to rnaseq so please excuse my silly questions.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by daanum View Post
          Thanks. I did not understand this when you say trimmomatic keeps paired reads when option keepbothreads is set to 'true'.could you please graphically explain what it does? I am new to rnaseq so please excuse my silly questions.
          Thanks
          They do a pretty good job in the manual (TrimmomaticManual_V0.32.pdf) with explaining each step including graphics which is often helpful. Its probably a good idea to become familiar with each step so you can use the program most appropriately based on the specifics of your data and your experiment. From my experience this is time always well spent when using a new bioinformatics tool. Good luck.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses