No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Dye Terminator

Hello All-

Does anybody know how to make their Ready reaction mix and 5x Sequencing buffer? We've been trying to reverse engineer it but no luck. We use ABI's v3.1. Its pretty costly so we're trying to make our own! Any ideas?

Trying to resist answering first gen sequence question...
    Sorry, ECO, it is not possible for me. Maybe you could create a first gen forum?

Okay, this is a "next gen" sequencing forum, not a "this gen" forum. That said, I do not think anyone makes the actual big dye "ready reaction" mix in their lab.

The so-called "5x" buffer is another story, but not one with a happy ending. First, I have no idea why it is called "5x" buffer, when one uses it at 2.5x. But that has always been its name. So, here is the story: prior to the ".1" versions of Big Dye, 5x buffer was just Tris and MgCl2. You could make it yourself and we did. With the introduction of BD 1.1 and 3.1, however, something changed with the new formulation and the old 5x buffer no longer worked. (5% v/v DMSO also became detrimental, rather than helpful in the sequencing reactions.)

What was the change? I don't know. (That is the sad ending. Sorry.) Some sort of non-ionic detergent maybe?

--
    Phillip

Comment

yeah. the ABRF discussion group will likely be more help.

and there is a public formulation of the buffer, though you really shouldn't be going through it faster than the big dye.

Comment

Hi snetmcom,
        Where is the public formulation? Are you sure it isn't the v .0 5x recipe? That has been long known. The v .1 5x recipe is another matter. At this juncture I don't see ever needing to make it -- we have plenty. But depending on the BD dilution one uses, the 5x buffer included with the Big Dye will not necessarily be enough.

But I would like to know the recipe for 1.1 and 3.1 5x buffer -- just to satisfy my curiosity.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses