No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange FASTQC Results - PerSequence GC Content

Hi Everyone:

I would be grateful if someone could take a quick look at these FASTQC results. This is exome-seq 100 bp paired-end data. For the most part, FASTQC results seem normal, except a strange distribution for the per sequence GC content graph. From the FASTQC manual, an unusual distribution seems to be suggestive of contamination and a shift in the curve is suggestive of a systematic bias. Could this systematic bias be due to exome enrichment?

Also there seems to be homopolymer AAAA and TTTT repeats as indicated by the KMER content warning? Can anyone speculate on the source of these homopolymers?

Thanks,

MC
    Attached Files

How long were your inserts? When reads go polyA or polyT it may be a sign that it's read through the entire length of the sequence.

Comment

The average insert size was ~360 bp. Why do reads go polyA or polyT when they've read through the entire length of the sequence?

Comment

If you're using an Illumina instrument (which I'm assuming right now), a poly A stretch is caused by a zero intensity signal, in which case the base will be called an A with 0 quality. Another way to tell if this the problem is too see if your adapters are showing up a lot in your overabundant fragments. This would indicate a amount of adapter/primer dimers which may also cause this problem of reading through the end of the sequence.

Comment

Hi Kcchan,

Thanks for the explanation, but I don't see any of my adapter sequences found in the overrepresented sequences section of FASTQC results. I only see "AAAAA" and "TTTTT" in this section with counts of 16919295 and 16616150, OBS/EXP overall of 3.44 and 3.09, respectively. FASTQC does not give me a warning for overrepresented sequences and shows these levels to be normal despite giving me a kmer content warning with these same homopolymers.

Comment

I have to say I see this homopolymer signal from FastQC in HiSeq exome runs *a lot* but never had a satisfactory explanation for it. Hasn't seemed to impact downstream applications.

Your GC content will almost always get flagged with FastQC, but I've always assumed part of this is to do with looking only at the exome (rather than unbiased sequence from the genome) however your peak does look unusually distorted from what I would normally expect.

Comment

Thanks for this insight Bukowski. I'll consider the homopolymer signal benign then. But yes the hump is very strange.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses