Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for genetics software to write

I hope this is an OK place to ask. I am a software engineer with a bit of experience working on decision support tools and analytics packages for sequencing data (mostly analyzing BAM and VCF files). I'm looking for something to work on as a hobby. Preferably something new that I can build from scratch. I'm open to anything really.

One idea I had was a system for cataloging and retrieving data from sequencing runs. Most of the labs I've worked with store their runs on a network drive somewhere. Some even just keep them on the storage attached to the sequencer or worse, external hard drives. Presumably they could use something like BaseSpace but don't. So I'm thinking anything that is better than just throwing the data out on the network would be useable.

Would this be useful? Or maybe there's something else that would be useful?

I don't see the utility of this particular program.
    I don't see anything wrong with an individual lab storing their data on a network drive.
    If they do want to use software to manage their data, it doesn't need to be specific to sequencing runs either.
    A well-defined folder structure works fine, in my opinion, for just one lab to manage their data. It's simple, cost-effective and flexible.
    The big issues are the lack of storage space, and the cost of storage, not so much the absence of software to catalog the data.

For big sequencing centers, there already are programs available to manage their data, e.g. Nanuq.

Just my personal opinion, on this specific idea.

As far as other programs are concerned, I'm sure there is a need, but I don't have any specific ideas at the moment.

Comment

I had not seen Nanuq before. Thanks for the honesty feedback!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses