No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miRDeep -v and -z parameters

Hi,

I'm using miRDeep to discover new miRNA in Illumina HTS data. I don't understand the -v and the -z parameters.

here's the definition in the readme of the script

-v (for instance, -v 5) varies the cut-off. This is the single most important and difficult option. In
    general, if you are missing a large fraction of known miRNAs that you know are in the dataset, you should
    lower the cut-off. If you make the permuted controls (see below) and get many false positives, you should
    raise the cut-off. As a rule of thumb, the cut-off should probably not be lowered below 0 or 1 unless the
    dataset is _highly_ enriched in miRNA sequences.

the definiton is ok, but how to set a good thresold ? on what is it filtering ?

-z scores the stems below the potential precursor sequence for potential Drosha recognition. In general,
    more base pairings between the 10 nt flanking the potential precursor suggest a tighter stem and gives a
    higher score contribution. For each number of base pairings b in the stem, the probability p(b) of a
    miRNA precursor hairpin or a background hairpin having p(b) was estimated, and log-odd score contributions
    were calculated. When this option is used, we recommend that a slightly higher cut-off is used (as default
    1.5).

can someone explain me that in other words, I'm a little lost there.

Thanks

another question about the permutation script : how can i calculate the false positive rate from the result of the permutations ?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses