Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not surprised that they moved to subscription. But an annual $5000 buy in to give someone the opportunity to pay to use apps is ridiculous.
    Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Originally posted by thermophile View Post
      I'm not surprised that they moved to subscription. But an annual $5000 buy in to give someone the opportunity to pay to use apps is ridiculous.
      To be fair, that $5k (if that is what the cost of the mid-tier subscription is) appears to include two additional features.

Whether "Multi-user access" and 8hr of bioinformatics professional services support is worth $5K, is open to debate If you don't have any local IT infrastructure then that may be your sole option.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottC View Post
        - The newest version of bcl2fastq2 will now treat N bases properly (as 'wildcards' so-to-speak)
        That issue still hasn't been fixed as of the the most recent 2.18 update.

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
          That issue still hasn't been fixed as of the the most recent 2.18 update.
          Software release note for 2.18 has this listed as "known issue"

“N” is incorrectly allowed as an index sequence character in the sample sheet. When used, this will cause a mismatch for any sequence character other than “N”.

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
            I would imagine some of the third party developers aren't too happy either since their apps are now stuck behind a paywall.
            Does that apply to all apps or just the third party ones that we would normally be paying for? Right now, it looks like the usual basic analyses I'm used to running are still accessible from a basic account, but I think my account is still on a trial basis from the changeover.

Comment

I can select a sample, launch FastQC or 16S metagenomics, but then I don't have the start button
              Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

There is a message where the "Launch App" button used to be:

To use this app, upgrade to a Professional subscription
                This includes all published apps as well as any custom apps you have in your developer account.

Comment

I can select a sample, launch FastQC or 16S metagenomics, but then I don't have the start button
                  Wait, so we can't even do FastQC with a free account? I was able to run it, but like I said yesterday, my account is still in trial mode. Are you just trying to use the Illumina/BaseSpace Labs 16s metagenomics app? I'm not hopeful for my Amplicon DS analyses, then....

Comment

Are the "free" accounts only meant for people who have one (or a small number of) Mini/Mi/NextSeq and need to do basic distribution/sharing of data? i.e. small core facilities.

Comment

That's kind of what I'm wondering, too, GenoMax? We have a pretty small operation, but I do also send out for larger jobs and I still need to analyze data sometimes.

Comment

Jessica, I can't run any apps at all. My understanding is that every new account gets a 30day trial so I guess you could just make a new email and account every month to continue using the apps.

Comment

Jessica, I can't run any apps at all. My understanding is that every new account gets a 30day trial so I guess you could just make a new email and account every month to continue using the apps.
                          While that may work short term, it may land you on Illumina's blacklist (if they watch for what IP's the accounts are logging in from).

Small cores may need to adjust their prices (and account for $5K subscription) if they find BaseSpace indispensable for daily business.

Comment

That's good to know, thermophile, thanks. I'm probably going to have to ask for that $5k to be added into our budget for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              While that may work short term, it may land you on Illumina's blacklist (if they watch for what IP's the accounts are logging in from).

Small cores may need to adjust their prices (and account for $5K subscription) if they find BaseSpace indispensable for daily business.
                              True. I'm likely going to go back to ignoring the basespace apps and use it just for fastq distribution which is still currently feasible for my miseq only core on a free account.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses