Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative splicing quantification and comparison with RNAseq

As there is no consensus in the literature on this I thought it might be worth it to try to generate some discussion here. I am interested in finding quantitative changes in alternative splicing (AS) across different genotypes or treatments. I am only interested in events and not isoforms. Essentially there are 3 main areas to deal with;

1) What to count. Split reads are tempting but make up a very small portion of the total aligned reads, so using only them you lose a lot of information and may suffer from more stochastic coverage. Read count in exons or introns has been used but what about reads that fall into both an exon or intron (thinking about intron retention in plants)? If you remove these detection of small sites, like alternative 5' or 3' sites may suffer. Has anyone thought of using a nt count approach?

2) How to normalize How should one correct for different expression levels of genes (if you are only interested in finding different AS)? How to deal with different coverage in your different libraries? I've been using total number of reads to the gene vs the number in the exon/intron of interest.

3) How to compare What stats are people using? ANOVA has been used by Harr and Turner. What about using a binomial or negative binomial? Could using the DESeq package for this be reasonable (send it read counts for all the exons/introns of one gene and find ones that are differentially expressed as oppose to sending it all the genes in a genome)?

I know that is a lot of questions for one post but you (might) know the fishermans saying "Good things come to those who bait".

1. Harr B, Turner LM. Genome-wide analysis of alternative splicing evolution among Mus subspecies. Molecular ecology. 2010;19 Suppl 1:228-39. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20331782.

Not even a nibble?

Comment

I am interested in looking at the possibility of detecting alternative splicing from SOLiD transcriptome data (human). I thought posting a reply on this thread would be a good way to bring this back to people's attention as I see there were no takers back in 2009.

I am a beginner so would like to know if there are open source tools available which could analyse my data in this way.

Thanks
      Helen

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses