No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bug for --read2pos argument in featureCounts

Hello,

As described below, I believe i may have found a bug when using the --read2pos argument of featureCounts. Additionally, i would appreciate some clarification on the use of the --readExtension5 and/or --readExtension3 arguments when combined with --read2pos, as i don't see the point of extending a read outwards as opposed to inwards.

To provide some context, I created a library of transposon-mediated insertions (see ex below), digested them (Sau3AI), and ligated adapters (Adp) prior to deep sequencing (Illumina MiSeq).

Random E. coli clone:
    NNN-ACTGCT-IR(L)-Km-IR(R)-GCTACA-NNN

IR: Inverted repeat; (L) and (R) are reverse complements of each other
    Km: kanamycin resistance cassette
    N: random nucleotide

Normally, one would expect one of the following ligations to occur:

1. Adp-NNN-ACTGCT-IR(L), OR;
    2. IR(R)-GCTACA-NNN-Adp

However, due to the design of the experiment, adapters ligate either to the left-hand side of the knock-in (in the 5'-to-3' orientation) OR to the right-hand side of the knock-in, but in its opposite orientation (3'-to-5').

1. Adp-NNN-ACTGCT-IR(L), OR;
    2. Adp-NNN-TGTAGC*-IR(R)*

* The reverse complements of the sequences shown in the randomly mutated E. coli clone.

Thus, after trimming the Adp and IR regions, and aligning using bowtie2, I have two scenarios for my (unstranded) paired-end reads:

In the first case (1), the location of each read's insert can be assigned by reducing the reads to their 3'-ends (i.e. --read2pos 3); whereas in the second case (2), the location of each read's insert can be assigned by reducing them to their 5'-ends (i.e. --read2pos 5).

/context.

The problem i am facing is that paired-end reads that overlaps with two (or more) genes/meta-features show up as "Unassigned Ambiguity", even though they are reduced to their 5' most base or 3' most base. Is this a bug? Shouldn't it be impossible to overlap with more than one gene/meta-feature as the reads are reduced to a single base?

This brings me to my second question: as a workaround to the "Unassigned Ambiguity", i thought about extending the reads a variable amount inwards from their respective ends (e.g. 10-nt downstream of the 5' most base and/or 10-nt upstream of the 3' most base), so that i could increase the minOverlap value and thus mitigate "Unassigned Ambiguity." However, it seems that the only options are to extend the reads outwards. Could someone explain the logic behind increasing reads outwards instead of inwards?

Thanks!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses