No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation of paired-end reads

Dear Forum,

being relatively new to NGS data analysis i have a newbie question: I got paired end solexa data and want to assemble it. To do so using assemblers like e.g. abyss, i need to specify the read orientations. I was assuming that this would be forward for the first reads and reverse for the second reads - i am not sure, though and googling did not really yield an answer. Do paired end reads always have the same orientations or is this depending on the individual experiment?

Thanks in advance!

The standard Illumina paired-end protocol produces reads oriented pointing toward each other, just like good old fashioned Sanger paired reads, but the insert size is much shorter. Imagine a 300bp DNA fragment with ends arbitrarily labeled A & B. Read 1 and Read 2 would represent the ends of these fragments oriented inward.
    Code:
    A---------------------------------B
    ----->                       <-----
    read 1                       read 2

Comment

thanks for your quick reply!

cheers

Comment

so, it means Read 1(+) Read 2 (-) or Read 1(-) and Read 2 (+), and the genomic positions of positive read is less than negative read

Comment

what about solexa mate-pairs e.g. 3kb ?

Are they orientated --->...<---- as well or are they orientated <----...---->.

If the latter do they boh need to be reverse complemented before assembly or is that assembler specific

regards

Brian

Comment

so, it means Read 1(+) Read 2 (-) or Read 1(-) and Read 2 (+), and the genomic positions of positive read is less than negative read
            Yes, that is correct Imf_bill.

what about solexa mate-pairs e.g. 3kb ?

Are they orientated --->...<---- as well or are they orientated <----...---->.

If the latter do they boh need to be reverse complemented before assembly or is that assembler specific

regards

Brian
            Brian, the reads from the mate-pair protocol are oriented outward as indicated in your second drawing. I know that Bowtie has an option to specify the relative orientation of the pairs. The default behavior is appropriate for Illumina short insert paired-ends (inward pointing reads). I don't know about other aligners.

Comment

It seems our MiSeq mate paired data isn't orientated as described above.

In a sequence that would be
              A-------------B
              We see

A----- B-----

Additionally each FASTQ file is mixed with both mate pair ends.
              Is there a tool which will reverse one of these fastq files to get
              A----- -----B

??

Thanks,
              J

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
              0 responses