No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat fusion result.html dashes and duplicates

Hello,

I believe I have successfully run tophat fusion on single end RNA-seq data. In the results.html file, I noticed that several of the fusion alignments contain dashes in the sequence. What do these dashes signify?

Also, I noticed in my results (and the tophat fusion results example) that while there are few if any duplicate sequences for sequences not spanning a fusion (left or right), many of the sequences mapping across the fusion are duplicated (exactly the same sequence), sometimes as many as 6 times. These multiple copies seem to be counted in the number of spanning reads summary at the top of the file. What is the origin of these repeats? Should they be ignored (only considered as a single read)?

Thank you for the help!

Hi!

I believe I have successfully run tophat fusion on single end RNA-seq data. In the results.html file, I noticed that several of the fusion alignments contain dashes in the sequence. What do these dashes signify?
    Well, as far as I know, usually dashes are used in sequence alignment visualization to represent gaps.

Also, I noticed in my results (and the tophat fusion results example) that while there are few if any duplicate sequences for sequences not spanning a fusion (left or right), many of the sequences mapping across the fusion are duplicated (exactly the same sequence), sometimes as many as 6 times. These multiple copies seem to be counted in the number of spanning reads summary at the top of the file. What is the origin of these repeats? Should they be ignored (only considered as a single read)?
    One explanation for the repeating sequences is that the transcript is higlhly expressed. The number of reads in RNA-seq correspond to the expression level, and since the fragmentation is not always uniform or epxression is very high this may result in identical or highly similar reads.
    Other explanations include: sequencing biases and errors, like for example hexamer specificity, or mappability issues.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses