Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading qiime in bio-linux from 1.7 to 1.8

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? I know there is the qiime deploy script, which I'm going to try but I was hoping someone had some experience trying this.

The best place to ask about this is the bio-linux mailing list http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/about-us/mailing-lists Tim Booth is pretty responsive.

Doesn't Qiime come installed as standard on Bio-linux though - so updates would be via apt and the standard package updater rather than the deploy script?

Comment

Originally posted by Palecomic View Post
      The best place to ask about this is the bio-linux mailing list http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/about-us/mailing-lists Tim Booth is pretty responsive.

Doesn't Qiime come installed as standard on Bio-linux though - so updates would be via apt and the standard package updater rather than the deploy script?
      Ah thanks. Yeah it does come with bio-linux as standard. Ah I see now, the built in packages with bio-linux can actually be updated through the normal ubuntu update manager, I think I already knew that, I must be a bit slow today. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: After updating qiime is still version 1.7, I'm guessing the bio linux people just haven't rolled out the new version yet.
      Last edited by bob-loblaw; 01-15-2014, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Have you tried QIIME-Deploy? https://github.com/qiime/qiime-deploy

Relatively simple way to upgrade/install QIIME on any Linux box.

Comment

Originally posted by bstamps View Post
          Have you tried QIIME-Deploy? https://github.com/qiime/qiime-deploy

Relatively simple way to upgrade/install QIIME on any Linux box.
          I haven't tried it, I'm not really sure how it'll affect the installation of qiime already on the machine.

Comment

Do you need QIIME 1.7 still functional? Basically if QIIME was installed by its defaults (~/qiime_software/) it should update any packages inside of this directory, install a qiime-1.8.0-release/ directory, and then activate 1.8. You can check out https://github.com/qiime/qiime-deplo...sions-of-qiime if you want to keep multiple versions of QIIME going for what I'm assuming would be consistency-for-publication reasons, or comparisons.

Comment

Well I'm not too worried about 1.7 being overwritten, as long as 1.8 is fully functional. I'm just worried that it'll run into a problem and I'll be left with 2 half installed versions of QIIME, neither completely functional. I may just try it, see how it goes.

Comment

Give it a shot- I've never had issues with App-Deploy before. The last script executed is the activation of the qiime-1.8.0-release/ directory, so if there are any other failures prior, you'll still have 1.7.0 active and working.

Comment

any updates on this

I'm in exactly the same situation and i was wondering how the experiment went... did you try deploying the Qiime 1.8 version?

How did it work? Did it erase the 1.7 or did they both coexist?

I am very worried about doing this as i would probably need to reinstall if the 1.8 installation failed.
                  thanks
                  Andrea

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses