No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small RNA Library Question - SOLiD

Dear all,

So I've prepared my first smallRNA library from 4 fibrotic skins samples and 1 plasma sample. Following reverse transcription and amplificiation, I have run an Agilent DNA chip to determine the % of ligated small RNA to total RNA in each reaction. These figures have fallen below the threshold required to progress to bead prep (50%) with the best being around 30%.

From the traces, it seems that I have a predmoninance of small products (too small to represent miRNAs with 3' and 5' adapters) with only between 10 and 30% of the sample being of the desired size.

The manual recommends to perform a second round of size selection at this stage (on the resulting amplified PCR products) using PAGE to excise just the size indicative of miRNAs plus adapters.

My question is, would it not be more useful to use a small amount of the resulting PCR product in a second round of amplification?

Your help would be most appreciated,

D

Dear all,

Just for future reference, I've tried the above technique (re-amplifying a small amount of the amplified cDNA using SOLiD 5' and 3' BC in an attempt to increase the % of miRNAs with adapters) with no success.

I'm therefore going to procede with a further round of size selection.

Best wishes,

D

Comment

Sorry the above was a rather vague (pre-coffee infusion) answer....!

By no success I mean on running the re-amplified product against the original product (Agilent DNA 1000) there was no increase in the % miRNA with adapters. In fact, very little amplification took place during the second round.

Just for reference so you don't waste time repeating what he been tried!

D

Comment

Hi D,
        Also any time you "use a small amount of the resulting PCR product in a second round of amplification", you have the potential to "bottleneck" your library. That is, only the molecules present in your "small amount" can be amplified. So you would have capped the diversity of your library at the number of different molecules in the "small amount".

--
        Phillip

Comment

Do you think those "small products" are adaptor dimer? I had a similar problem making a small RNA library with Bioo Scientific adaptors (for illumina). They suggested adding the first strand RT primer immediately after 3' adaptor ligation. The primer binds any excess adaptor and prevents it from being ligated to the 5' adaptor. Worked great and the results were clearly visible on the bioanalyzer. Hope that helps.

Comment

They are most definitely adapter dimer. It's a common problem for sRNA preps.

Comment

Yeah, I'll second that. Most certainly adapter dimers from Agilent trace. Very interesting point raised by whw...I'll look into this for any future preps.

D

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses