Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fetch any older version ACCs from NCBI using programming language?

For example: I want to get the genomic coordinates of NR_046018.1, which has been updated and removed from the current release of NCBI databases.
    Then,how can I retrieve the record using EUtils like API?

Or maybe, anyone can supply another fresh way to deal with this kind of work?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Saddly, no answer, then maybe I should do it another way, does anyone know where can I find an accession number dependent version update notes on NCBI?

e.g. NM_001604.4 -> NM_001604.5 ... anything changed?

Comment

In BioPython you can specify the accession with the decimal points and get the two different records:
      Code:
      >>> from Bio import Entrez
      >>> Entrez.email = '[email protected]'
      >>> handle1 = Entrez.efetch(db="nucleotide", id = "NR_046018.1", rettype = "gb")
      >>> print handle1.read()
      ...older version - sequence ends gtttct...
      >>> handle2 = Entrez.efetch(db="nucleotide", id = "NR_046018.2", rettype = "gb")
      >>> print handle2.read()
      ...newer version - sequence ends gtttctg...
      That is the only eutils wrapper I have experience with but I would think anything would work like that.

Comment

Thanks cliffbeall
        I understand that EUtils can fetch older version of ACC from nucl db of NCBI, even in
        genbank or xml format, but I cannot find the genomic coords from any of the returned files.
        The genomic coords of current version of ACC can be obtain by esearch & efetch from db:gene element:Gene-commentary_genomic-coords easily, But this's not available for older version.

I know that the final solution is to run `splign` from sequences, but it's rather a tough way for whole genome and thousand of genes.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the question.

I don't know how to do what you want, it has to do with links between nucl and gene databases.

Comment

It's not your fault, my misleading indeed.
            Thanks cliffbeall.
            Waiting for any further suggestions ...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses