Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PARE sequencing; single-read cluster generation

We got a request to do PARE sequencing (J. Zhai et al. / Methods 67 (2014) 84–90, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ymeth.2013.06.025) but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The "single-read cluster generation" needed for this protocol can only be performed with a qBot... correct?

So our NextSeq, which does all clustering in the flowcell, can't sequence these libraries (but an HiSeq2500 could)?
    Thanks,
    Peter

You mean a cBot?

No, you can do single reads on a NextSeq. I skimmed through the protocol and didn't see anything that made it cBot/Hiseq specific. Maybe I missed something?

Comment

Hi GW,
      Yes I mean cBot (). But after digging deep in the protocol I saw this:

# During cluster generation on the cBot, it is necessary to select
      the ‘‘SR_TubeStripHyb’’ recipe because the PARE sequencing
      primer is not compatible with the standard Illumina TruSeq
      Sequencing primer.
      # Load the template and primer tube strips into the appropriate
      positions on the cBot. Follow Illumina standard procedures to
      perform single-read cluster generation with tube-strip primer
      hybridization.

The group followed the published protocol exactly. If they had used different PARE sequencing primer, then the libraries would have been able to cluster on the NextSeq flowcell (it doesn't have "single-read cluster generation" capabilities). I'm going to work with them to adjust the protocol for the NextSeq.

If I'm wrong please let me know...

-p

Comment

But you can spike in custom primers, yeah?

And single read or paired-end, it doesn't really matter on the NextSeq? If it'll cluster you can just set it to do read 1.

We do single reads all the time with the 75 cycle kit.
        Last edited by GW_OK; 02-08-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Hadn't thought of custom primer spike-ins. What a cool idea!

Just add in the same number of pMoles... as long as one end of the library attaches to the flowcell, and the custom primers make it to the clustering (PCR) step without being washed out.

Does Illumina just give you a modified (shortened) primer in the 1 X 75 Kit? (I have so much to learn)

I've gotta try that!

Thanks,
          -p

Comment

Custom primers have nothing to do with generation of clusters. Both ends of the library adapters must have the requisite P5 and P7 sites for proper bridge amplification on the flowcell.

And you don't necessarily have to spike in primers, you can use the custom primer wells on the cartridge. The spike-ins do have the added advantage of allowing you to run the standard phix library in parallel, though.

As far as I'm aware the primer sets are the same across all NextSeq kits. You can tell the machine to sequence in whatever number of cycles you want in either direction or the index reads, so long as the total number of cycles you are requesting is equal to or less than the number of cycles on the box plus 16.

Comment

Just to put a tack in this thread.
              Communication in cores is always a key to success. The client created a perfectly compatible small RNA Illumina library. They just didn't know it.

Edit: They referred us to the article, but apparently were using a protocol handed down from someone who left the lab. Once we asked for the exact library structure, and asked the correct person at Illumina, it all became clear. Thanks for your help GW.
              Last edited by hoytpr; 02-10-2018, 11:07 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses