Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA aln segmentation fault

I tried searching for the answer to my problem but could not find it. I am trying to align a fastq file to the hg19 reference genome. To build the reference I downloaded the 25 chromosome files and joined them together. BWA 'index' function works fine, but the 'aln' function results in a Segmentation fault. Thanks!

The output looks like this:

[bwa_aln] 17bp reads: max_diff = 2
    [bwa_aln] 38bp reads: max_diff = 3
    [bwa_aln] 64bp reads: max_diff = 4
    [bwa_aln] 93bp reads: max_diff = 5
    [bwa_aln] 124bp reads: max_diff = 6
    [bwa_aln] 157bp reads: max_diff = 7
    [bwa_aln] 190bp reads: max_diff = 8
    [bwa_aln] 225bp reads: max_diff = 9
    Segmentation fault

Did you compile bwa from source? How much RAM do you have?

Comment

I used a built in BWA software version 0.5.9r16 that was provided by the computing server. I don't know how much RAM it has, but it seems like there should be plenty. When I joined together Chromosomes 1-12 into a 2.1 Gb reference, the alignment worked. However, the 3.2 Gb total reference does not align and results in a segmentation fault error.

Comment

There are two different ways to index genomes with bwa index. Only one works once the genome gets to be over a certain size. So remake the index (try
        Code:
        bwa index -a bwtsw
        and see if that fixes it.

Comment

If using half the genome worked and full genome is not working then I have a feeling that a) you either do not have enough RAM or b) your job is not allowed to use more than a certain amount of RAM. Administrators sometimes set this restriction on shared compute resources.

You should at least ask the people who administer your compute server and see if the above is true.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses