No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megan for contig or gene classification

Hi SEQanswers experts,

I've used megan extensively to taxonomically classify reads from metagenomes which is, according to the initial publication, one of the main reasons the software exists. However, I wonder if it also suitable to classify genes from assembled metagenome contigs - or even whole contigs. I am only interested in a very high level (Domain) classification to estimate the contribution of archaea, bacteria, eukaryotes, and virusses/phages to the metagenome. Since megan only uses the blast result files there shouldn't be a technical problem but I am worried about the theoretical concepts behind the algorithms (e.g. LCA), will megan still yield unbiased & reliable results?

If so, I would appreciate advice for which blast[n|p] and megan parameters in order to yield best results for gene or contig blasts.

Lastly if megan turns out to be not applicable to my problem, do you know about software that would be better suited?

Thanks in advance

Sequence assembly is a non-linear step, thus your results would be heavily biased.

Comment

You could submit your sequences to some online service like MG-RAST or IMG/M. Or you could sort your blast result for best hits and extract the domain level classification straight from that. For example -outfmt '6 std sskingdoms" (I recall) and then grep from the last field counts of A/B/E/V (you would also need the taxdb for this). IMO 1e-6 is a good evalue for blastp against nr. I usually also apply the -use_sw_tback, -seg yes and -soft_masking true flags because of some paper I read which recommend these but I don't really know how applicable they are to the latest version of blast..
      Last edited by rhinoceros; 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM.
      savetherhino.org

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses