Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try 'make clean' to replace old objects and dependencies that were generated by the prior makes.

Comment

Thank you! Unfortunately, this did not work. . .Is there something else I should try?

Comment

From what you originally wrote, there's no reason for it to try to go to a non-existent /home/lab/Desktop/JL directory. There's also no reason I've ever seen to edit the Makefile for samtools aside from changing the LIBCURSES value (if needed). I'm guessing that there's something weird with your Makefile. You might try just deleting the samtools directory and redownloading it (from the samtools page on sourceforge and no where else) so you know nothing is screwy. Then, (1) extract the files, (2) cd into the resulting directory and (3) type make without editing any files. You mentioned using Ubuntu earlier and I can confirm that this works correctly under Ubuntu.

Comment

So, I've tried re-downloading both samtools and ubuntu several times. The simple directions to just go into the folder and command "make" is simply not working. And when I get tricky (changing the makefile, downloading my own c++, nsurses, or zlib, trying it as a different user ect.) but it still won't work. I feel as if I've exhausted my google search results. I even contacted the samtools people, who told me to download and try again. This I have done many many times. What could I be missing?
          Thank you for your continuing comments. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Comment

Here's what I did to download and compile a new version of samtools:

Code:
            wget -O samtools-0.1.18.tar.bz2 http://sourceforge.net/projects/samtools/files/samtools/0.1.18/samtools-0.1.18.tar.bz2/download
            tar xjf samtools-0.1.18.tar.bz2
            cd samtools-0.1.18
            make
            make razip
            The wget command goes through a few redirects before downloading. The make process takes about 10 seconds. After that I can use the samtools mpileup command:

Code:
            [server samtools-0.1.18]$ ./samtools mpileup

Usage: samtools mpileup [options] in1.bam [in2.bam [...]]

Input options:

-6           assume the quality is in the Illumina-1.3+ encoding
                   -A           count anomalous read pairs
                   -B           disable BAQ computation
                   -b FILE      list of input BAM files [null]
                   -C INT       parameter for adjusting mapQ; 0 to disable [0]
                   -d INT       max per-BAM depth to avoid excessive memory usage [250]
                   -E           extended BAQ for higher sensitivity but lower specificity
                   -f FILE      faidx indexed reference sequence file [null]
                   -G FILE      exclude read groups listed in FILE [null]
                   -l FILE      list of positions (chr pos) or regions (BED) [null]
                   [...etc...]
            At what point does this process fail for you?

Comment

THANK YOU everyone for your help!! I did get this to work. In case some poor student is struggling with the same thing I was, here's what finally worked:
              1) I deleted the samtools folders I had.
              2) used command:
              sudo apt-get install samtools
              3) Now, I need to figure out where it went, so I did
              dpkg -s samtools
              It showed-- samtools: /usr/bin/samtools /usr/lib/samtools /usr/share/samtools /usr/share/man/man1/samtools.1.gz
              4) In usr/bin, the executable is locked. To unlock I did
              cd ../
              cd usr
              cd bin
              sudo chmod a+rwx samtools
              5) manually move the files I'm working with (the reference.fasta and the output.sorted.bam) to the usr>bin folder
              6) try command in usr>bin folder
              sudo samtools mpileup -f reference.fasta output.sorted.bam >output.mpileup

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses