No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastqc:how to get a quality score for individual read

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 77 million reads and I need to know the quality score of each read so that I can filter the data based on the quality score. I used Fastqc and it gives me the graph of quality score of each read. But I need to know in a file how much is the quality score of each read. Is there any way I can get that.
    Please help!!!

Originally posted by newBioinfo View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a 77 million reads and I need to know the quality score of each read so that I can filter the data based on the quality score. I used Fastqc and it gives me the graph of quality score of each read. But I need to know in a file how much is the quality score of each read. Is there any way I can get that.
    Please help!!!
    I'm pretty sure there is no single value for that. Individual bases have quality scores, a read can have a mapping score, which is entirely dependent on the reference you give it, but I don't know of a single quality score for an Illumina read. You could get all the reads with 80% of the bases >Q30, or trim all the 3' bases with <Q5, or somethinig like that.

Comment

You can use fastx to filter based on your desired quality score.

Comment

Sorry, very basic, very quick question. I have very good 100bp PE data (Illumina Phred Scores ~33). That usually holds all the way through from base 1 to 100. However, there are some reads that are low quality, and sometimes, at the 3' end of some reads, the quality dips very low, but not often.

Since the quality doesn't dip often at any end, I think trimming is a bad idea, but I still should filter reads based on a certain quality score, right??

Comment

bump? Sorry for the simple question. I wasn't filtering, but I went to a workshop that said you should always filter/trim, and I just wanted to have one more confirmation.

Comment

Also, sorry, does anyone know how to filter more than one file at a time with Fastq?

Comment

Originally posted by billstevens View Post
              Also, sorry, does anyone know how to filter more than one file at a time with Fastq?
              Yes is the answer to your question as quoted above.
              You might have meant to ask how: I usually filter one or more fastq files using the fastx toolkit wrappers in our local Galaxy which fires off jobs to SGE so I can do 'more than one file at a time' - but YMMV as it always does with these things.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses