No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many Differential expressed genes using cuffdiff

Hi,
    i know this will be sticky question.. but i didnt find the answer..

i am using CuffDiff for DE between 2 condition.
    i have 3 replicates for each.
    The size of the number of reads that i have for each sample is variable..
    3M,10M,20M,0.7M and so on..

when i used CuffDiff as:
    cufflinks-1.3.0.Linux_x86_64/cuffdiff -N -o cuffdiff/2v10 cuffmerge/al/merged.gtf Tophat/case1/Trinity/Sample1/accepted_hits.sam,Tophat/case1/Trinity/Sample4/accepted_hits.sam,Tophat/case1/Trinity/Sample7/accepted_hits.sam Tophat/case1/Trinity/Sample2/accepted_hits.sam,Tophat/case1/Trinity/Sample5/accepted_hits.sam,Tophat/case1/Trinity/Sample8/accepted_hits.sam

i am getting 8000 genes in the list of DE.
    it is not an usable number..
    How can i reduce it?(Multiple Test as Bonferrony? BH?)

Thanks,
    Pap

Biological question

What was your biological question that you were testing. Did you control as many variables as possible to limit the sources of differential gene expression?

How did you normalize your libraries? Did all your replicates have such large library variation? What is your cut off for considering a gene differentially expressed? How many false positives do you expect given a histogram plot of your pvalues?

Lots of reasons why you may have gotten a large number of differentially expressed genes. This has become a very hot topic on this forum as of late with very little discussion. I would like to see this discussed more.

Comment

I'm a newbie, but one thing I'm pretty sure you should do is plot the two conditions against each other in a scatter plot, as shown in the Nature Protocol paper. Most genes should line up on the 1:1 line, if not, there's something systematically wrong.

Secondly, sdriscoll, put up an interesting post about how his runs with variable read lengths resulted in skewed data. Take a peak at this post:
      Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Thirdly, in regards to normalization, I don't know what species you are using, but I think it sounds like you don't have too much sequencing depth. Using upper-quartile normalization is supposed to help with getting more reliable data on lower-count genes.

Severin, I really would like further discussion in general. So most people use the getSig function with a p value of 0.05 and the false positive has a default of 0.05 as well. How do you feel about these parameters?

Comment

Originally posted by severin View Post
        What was your biological question that you were testing. Did you control as many variables as possible to limit the sources of differential gene expression?

How did you normalize your libraries? Did all your replicates have such large library variation? What is your cut off for considering a gene differentially expressed? How many false positives do you expect given a histogram plot of your pvalues?

Lots of reasons why you may have gotten a large number of differentially expressed genes. This has become a very hot topic on this forum as of late with very little discussion. I would like to see this discussed more.
        i didnt normalized my libraries.. isnt the FPKM is the normalized?
        my cutoff for DE is pval=0.05
        i have a lot of false positive...

i had low quantity of rna so we use amplification step by NUGEN kit.
        i think that it made a lot of noise..

Do you have any recommendation for "post effect"??

Comment

In my opinion you still can't go completely on the differential expression results. You should sort your list of significant genes by fold change and then compare your list of results to the coverage information. Try making bedGraph files for your alignments and viewing them in the UCSC genome browser. You'll be able to make some decisions about your results based on how the coverage looks for those genes.

Also, as billstevens noted, pair-wise scatter plots are important.

If you want a second opinion try the htseq-count / DESeq pipeline and see what the results are. I find the results of the DESeq pipeline to make more sense than cuffdiff's results.
          /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
          Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses