SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to create a BLAST database aliealexandre Bioinformatics 22 02-02-2015 04:34 AM
Custom local blast results detq182 Bioinformatics 2 11-04-2014 04:53 AM
BLAST+ vs BLASTALL (legacy BLAST) Symphysodon Bioinformatics 4 10-25-2011 03:52 PM
BLAST database error - when changing to new BLAST+ local program biobio Bioinformatics 4 06-15-2011 06:20 AM
Database of BLAST CarlElit Bioinformatics 1 01-04-2010 07:23 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
deniz
Junior Member
 
Location: Australia

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Default BLAST+ creating custom blast database and using blast+ filtering features

Hi,

I would like to create a personal blast database of arbitrary sequences and be able to use all the features of BLAST+ to create subsets of databases based on identifiers or filter based on taxonomy.

It looks like the formatting of the definition line in the input FASTA files is crucial to assign proper sequence identifiers.

Using the General database identifier gnl|database|identifier or local identifier format lcl|identifier I wasn't able to use the blastdb_aliastool to create db subsets as it expects a GI list as input. I also didn't have any luck assigning taxonomy identifiers with the -taxid_map option of makeblastdb.

What is the recommended way to format FASTA definition lines in order to be able to use all the filtering features of the BLAST+ tools.

I was thinking of creating pseudo GenBank definitions for all my sequences: gi|<gi-number>|gb|<AccessionVersion>|<Accession>, where <gi-number> is a generated numeric value, and <Accession/Version> is my identifier. This works for the GI based filtering, however it seems like an ugly hack and I would prefer something more straight forward.

How is the taxid_map file formatted? I've tried <gi-number>, <gb|<AccessionVersion>>, or <gb|Accession> as the sequence identifier, however they don't seem to be assigned properly and blastdbcmd with -outfmt %T gives me zero for all entries.

Thanks for any help,

Deniz

PS: I've posted this already in http://I.SEQanswers.com but as it's still beta traffic is a bit low and I'm probably more likely to get an answer here in the forum.
deniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
nupurgupta
Member
 
Location: New Jersey

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 29
Default

Hi,
I was wondering if you found a solution for this? I have been having all kinds of problems creating subset blast databases.
Thanks
nupurgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
couttsbr
Junior Member
 
Location: Ottawa

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Default

GI lists are essentially simple to create, if you have experience with bash, perl, or any programming language that you can use to format text, you may be able to automatically pull the GIs from these files and put them into a GI list. A GI list is simply a text file with one number per line, and each number is a GI. There may be some utilities that do this automatically (i.e. FASTA->GI list), though I don't know of them.

Alternatively, a nice way I've found for creating GI lists based on queries is to query NCBI for the data you want. You can do a search in NCBI, click send to on the top-right corner, and export it as a GI list. This is a nice, easy way of getting a GI list for blast subsets, though it's difficult to automate.
couttsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blast, ncbi-blast

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO