No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks - fragment mean length for single-end reads

Hi,

so this is probably going to be a very naive question, but here goes anyway:

I have just started using cufflinks - the dataset is single-end reads from the HiSeq2000 platform with a length of 100bp (105 if you count the adapter, which has already been removed).

I noticed a dramatic difference in FPKM value estimates between the 'default settings' for fragment length man (-m) and standard length deviation (-s). Apparently, cufflinks is not able to figure out the correct values from the data. But what has to go in there, exactly? And what program would be best suited to give me those estimates? I used the Picard toolbox to get mean fragment length (100, surprise surprise) - but standard deviation is not determined there.

Also, while I would guess that 100 is the value to put in, I used -q 15 in the bwa assembly, which performed quite a bit if soft clipping on some reads. Does that factor in in any way?

Thanks for any helpful comments!

/Marc

Hi, Mark!
    I'm facing same kind of problem with single-end reads. Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks!
    Slava.

Comment

This is a bit of a guess but my best guess is to leave these blank (ie. don't put in the command) for single end reads. Check the cufflinks output on stdout, I'm betting if figures out these are single end reads, and runs as such were those two options are not used.

Comment

Thanks for reply, Jon!

The program runs with no errors and produces expected output files, but I'm a bit worried about Read Type shown as 0 bp single end? While it should be 62 bp. Also I'm not sure if I can leave Mean and Std Dev at defaults, considering that I had 62bp + 7 barcode + adapter. Would this influence the results?

Upper Quartile: 252.00
        > Number of Multi-Reads: 508671 (with 1031383 total hits)
        > Read Type: 0bp single-end
        > Fragment Length Distribution: Truncated Gaussian (default)
        > Default Mean: 200
        > Default Std Dev: 80
        [14:36:12] Modeling fragment count overdispersion.
        [14:36:13] Calculating initial abundance estimates for multi-read correction.
        > Processed 31353 loci. [*************************] 100%
        [14:55:46] Testing for differential expression and regulation in locus.
        > Processed 31353 loci. [*************************] 100%

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses