Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIN vs Volume?

I have a set of RNA samples prepared for RNAseq, however the RIN values and total volume on a few of the samples are less than ideal (<7.0 RIN and ~1.5ug total RNA) per sample

I have now produced a second set of samples (direct biological repeat) with much better RIN values (~8.6) but still low volume of total RNA.

My question is whether I would get a better set of results by combining the two samples, thereby reducing the RIN value to and average of the two samples but providing the sequencing centre with a much greater volume of RNA to library prep from? (and presumable reducing the number of duplicates). Or do I just have the second set of samples sequenced as they are the best quality samples I have available?

In other words, which has a greater affect on the quality, coverage level and level of duplicates of the dataset? RIN value or total volume?

The first set of samples also had some poor 260/230 ratio values, does this have much affect on the RNAseq chemistry and could it compromise the quality of the results further?

The samples are to sequenced (single end 50bp) on 1/3 of an illumina Hiseq2000 lane each, following RiboMinus treatment

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Originally posted by hbt View Post

The first set of samples also had some poor 260/230 ratio values, does this have much affect on the RNAseq chemistry and could it compromise the quality of the results further?

The samples are to sequenced (single end 50bp) on 1/3 of an illumina Hiseq2000 lane each, following RiboMinus treatment

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
    Are you constructing the libraries?

RiboMinus depletes degraded rRNA poorly. Why not use RiboZero?
    As long as you have a good insertion point into your protocol, then slightly degraded RNA will work fine if you RiboZero deplete. But you don't want to do a polyA+ purification as well.

260/230 is a measurement of the relative absorbance of your DNA (260) against other stuff capable of absorbing at 230 nm. That would include acetic acid or salts of acetate or the shoulder from a guanidinium salt. Other than the effect of the salt itself on hybridization of ribo depletion oligos to your sample rRNA, neither of these should have much effect on this step. After ribo depletion, you will desalt your sample anyway. (Use a Zymo column, not ethanol precipitation or that wretched Invitrogen "concentration" device.)

--
    Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses