Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did get the first data from a 2x260 bp run of genomic DNA. The quality of the second read was not this great - beginning from the first bases. I was lucky that my library had an average insert size of only 450 b - thus there was a huge overlap. Ea-utils fastq-join was able to merge 61% of the reads. This run generated 2x16 million reads.

Comment

Originally posted by james hadfield View Post
      Our upgrade is booked in for next week. looking forward to 20M reads!
      16.5 M PF pairs is on the high end of what you should expect. (That's at 1000 cluster density with 89% PF).

Comment

We did complete the first run for a 2 x 250 bp multiplex sample. It took ~36 h for the run to complete. The library used for this run was known to be not "normal" so I am not going to comment on the data quality.

Comment

A few pictures regarding v2 quality are attached from our phiX control run (2x250bp). However, when we tried to use our inhouse amplicon products, we got quite ugly results...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Vinz; 09-17-2012, 05:49 AM.

Comment

These are some pictures showing the quality of our first run (2x250 bp and 2 indices) where we tried to do amplicon sequencing. The same library had been run with the 300 kit successfully giving nice reads and good Q values.
            I was told there was not enough diversity. We will give it a try and spike in more phiX. But I am not sure this is the only problem. The constructs are based on the published TrueSeq sequences. A second run went even worse... Any feedback is appreciated.
            Attached Files

Comment

Our run looked better, but not as good as I hoped for. Attached is a plot of the 2nd 260 bp read (the reverse read). (There should have been no complexity related problem with this library.)
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by behavin View Post
                According to our FAS, as long as the software is updated you are able to set the "good" matrix, as well as run the 2x250. You won't get the increased data outputs and faster cycle times until the hardware upgrade however.
                Anyone know where this option is. I did a run the other day and I don't recollect a section on the software that allowed me to chose a matrix.

Comment

The software upgrade to sequences 2x250 is now available.... the hardware to capture sequence from both sides of the flowcell i.e. double your total output, requires waiting on a list of MiSeq owners.

Comment

Ours was upgraded today. It even came with a thank you card!

Comment

Did you not get the sticker for your machine that says "I have been upgraded".

On a more serious note: Let us know how your 2 x 250 phiX control run looks.
                      Last edited by GenoMax; 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Yup. It's the little things that matter in life!

Comment

Ours was upgraded a few weeks ago, and I opened the upgrade box for a poke around before the FSE installed it... there was a sticker and a thank you card in the box, but it was never given to us *sniff sniff* :'-(
                          Last edited by ScottC; 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Hello everybody
                            Our Miseq will be updated next week, customer service said us that they don't make any Phix control run, only optic tests. Is there the same in your lab?

Comment

You may wish to invest in a phiX run. It can potentially save you time down the road.

Our upgraded MiSeq (which had passed optical tests), required a service call because a phiX run (done after the fact due to quality issues with samples) did not pass illumina quality standards.

Originally posted by jertlse View Post
                              Hello everybody
                              Our Miseq will be updated next week, customer service said us that they don't make any Phix control run, only optic tests. Is there the same in your lab?

Comment

Ours didn't have a verification run (it was OK after the first run, too). They don't do it by default. If you're worried, then you can always ask Illumina for a sequencing kit to test the machine. Otherwise, if you do the recommended PhiX spike-in on your first run (if you don't do it routinely), then you can check the quality that way. I'm sure they will service the machine and replace the reagents if it's not up to scratch.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses