Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATK file lock error while using VariantRecalibrator

Hi, I am having some problems with the GATK pipeline. I followed the instructions on the GATK website to preprocess a fastq file, and this worked fine. Then moving on to variant discovery using the HaplotypeCaller, i get a vcf file and thats fine. When I try to use the VairantRecalibrator, I get an error that I think others have seen:

##### ERROR MESSAGE: Timeout of 30000 milliseconds was reached while trying to acquire a lock on file /mnt/gnas1/Analysis/IbrutinibResistance/WEX/GATK/CLL/200-013-3_20_13_L7.LB2/raw_variants_vcftools.recode.vcf.idx. Since the GATK uses non-blocking lock acquisition calls that are not supposed to wait, this implies a problem with the file locking support in your operating system.

I tried rebuilding the vcf using vcftools, and I get the same error. I am running RHEL6. Any ideas?
    Thanks much,
    karl

check that GATK can write in the folder: /mnt/gnas1/Analysis/IbrutinibResistance/WEX/GATK/CLL/200-013-3_20_13_L7.LB2/

Comment

Yes, I think it can. I have been writing all of the other data into this same directory and the other GATK codes dont have this problem. just to be sure I went and chmod 755 all the directories.

I just reran the variant caller with the UnifiedGenotyper and tried to validate the vcf with ValidateVariants and I got the same error.

Comment

OK so here is something interesting. When I copy the vcf file and index to another directory on the local machine it works. For the analses, I have been using a fileserver, and remotely mounting the share on my linux machine. I think the filserver is a windows machine exporting NFS. Maybe there is some bizzare effect caused by this. Maybe someone else has had this problem, since its not an unusual configuration.

Comment

Hi, karl_s. I'm now encountered the same problem. I am analyzing exome data using GATK 3.8. The data was stored on a NAS connect with my computer via LAN.
          For the steps of bam file callibration (-T RealignerTargetCreator / -T IndelRealigner / -T BaseRecalibrator / -T PrintReads) and gvcf extraction (-T HaplotypeCaller), it worked well. But when I entered the step of generation vcf file from gvcf file (using -T GenotypeGVCFs), I got a similar "ERROR MESSAGE: An error occurred while releasing the lock for file /mnt/nas/filename.g.vcf.idx". Exactly the same as your experience, when I download the gvcf files to local disk, and using the ref database in my local disk, my commend went on well.

Did you solved that problem since your last post?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses