Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Novo Short Read Assembler?

I'm completely new at de novo sequencing - what are good tools to assemble from short Solexa tags?

oops... found another useful thread with these suggestions:

* MIRA2 - MIRA (Mimicking Intelligent Read Assembly) is able to perform true hybrid de-novo assemblies using reads gathered through 454 sequencing technology (GS20 or GS FLX). Compatible with 454, Solexa and Sanger data. Linux OS required.
    * SHARCGS - De novo assembly of short reads. Authors are Dohm JC, Lottaz C, Borodina T and Himmelbauer H. from the Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics.
    * SSAKE - Version 2.0 of SSAKE (23 Oct 2007) can now handle error-rich sequences. Authors are René Warren, Granger Sutton, Steven Jones and Robert Holt from the Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre. Perl/Linux.
    * VCAKE - De novo assembly of short reads with robust error correction. An improvement on early versions of SSAKE.
    * Velvet - Velvet is a de novo genomic assembler specially designed for short read sequencing technologies, such as Solexa or 454. Need about 20-25X coverage and paired reads. Developed by Daniel Zerbino and Ewan Birney at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI).

Anyone use more than one of these assemblers? I have low coverage with short solexa tags --> really just want to combine reads into longer reads.

Comment

Sharcgs, ssake, and vcake are...not the most sophisticated programs.

You want the kinds that use de brujin graphs. Velvet is genrally the most commonly used one, and it's constantly being updated and supported...I don't know that the others are you mentioned are.

There's also Euler-SR, and I think EDENA also works okay.

I haven't tried Euler yet, but I tried EDENA once, and it was way slower than velvet.

With low coverage solexa data, there's not going to be much you can do.

Comment

The new euler-sr is starting to reach the ballpark, or finally the runtime order, of velvet for time, and hopefully in the next couple of days I'll tweak a couple of things that will speed it up still.

There is a tool in euler called assemblesec.pl, for assembly sans error correction, which just builds a de Bruijn graph, and hands you the result. You can parse the output to find which reads are on the same contig, or run some "light" error correction on the resulting graph.

However, you may want to use the error correction, since that can patch overlaps in low-coverage projects. It just takes forever. Currently euler-sr guesses the average coverage, but this goes bad in very high and very low coverage projects. In the release I'll post later tonight, there is an option to specify the minimal coverage (most likely 2).

-mark

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post

You want the kinds that use de brujin graphs. Velvet is genrally the most commonly used one, and it's constantly being updated and supported...I don't know that the others are you mentioned are.

I haven't tried Euler yet, but I tried EDENA once, and it was way slower than velvet.

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post

Velvet is only colorspace right?
          I'm using parts of NextGENe which incorporates some de brujin graphs...

Comment

Originally posted by mchaisso View Post
            The new euler-sr is starting to reach the ballpark, or finally the runtime order, of velvet for time, and hopefully in the next couple of days I'll tweak a couple of things that will speed it up still.

There is a tool in euler called assemblesec.pl, for assembly sans error correction, which just builds a de Bruijn graph, and hands you the result. You can parse the output to find which reads are on the same contig, or run some "light" error correction on the resulting graph.

However, you may want to use the error correction, since that can patch overlaps in low-coverage projects. It just takes forever. Currently euler-sr guesses the average coverage, but this goes bad in very high and very low coverage projects. In the release I'll post later tonight, there is an option to specify the minimal coverage (most likely 2).

-mark
            thanks - looking forward to the update.

Comment

Originally posted by doxologist View Post
              No, Velvet was written for nucleotide space, but I believe Daniel has made changes to make it colorspace-aware. You can ask him, but he's defending around right now, so go easy on the requests.

As for the euler-sr post... there is some weird memory problem that is only appearing at the end of assembly of a 37 Mb genome, so it'll be a bit more time before it is posted.

-mark

Comment

For denovo assembly from single-end solexa reads are there programs that make use of the quality scores for the reads ... during the assembly decision-making process?

RudyS

Comment

thanks - looking forward to the update.
                  Ok, the update is posted. Check: euler-assembler.ucsd.edu/portal for updates. There is one more change that I'll make that should improve some paired-end assembly, then it may be a bit before euler-sr is updated. Add any requests for functions now.
                  Last edited by mchaisso; 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM. Reason: clarification.

Comment

I tried NextGENe too. I guess Softgenetics integrated velvet in NextGENe. You can find two files in the package - "debruijng.exe" and "debruijnh.exe", which look very like "velvetg" and "velveth". The temperary files created by NextGENe with debruijn method are also very similar to those by velvet.

Comment

Bingo... thats what I surmised as well, NextGENe is using velvet for its de novo assembly
                      --
                      bioinfosm

Comment

retracted.
                        Last edited by mchaisso; 04-07-2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Velvet is licensed under GPL so no need to purchase a license. IANAL so I will not comment on implications for source release of their components. Also, Softgenetics didn't hide the fact that they incorporated Velvet. See the references in these two application notes:

Comment

Fair enough, I'll retract the previous post. However I'll point out that it was not immediately obvious as the previous posts indicated, and is not noted on the page: http://www.softgenetics.com/NextGENe.html.

Comment

Yes, they do cite velvet in their app notes. But don't you think it is ambiguous? Do they implement the method of velvet by themself, or do they use the code of velvet? If I were they, I would decalre I incorporated Velvet in my software and distribute my software with Velvet code modified for Win32/64 packed, or present the code in my website. This is what GPL license exactly asks.

BTW, it is very easy to compile Velvet in Win 32. It cost me only 3 hours to modify and compile the code in Visual Studio 2005.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses