X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting 454 paired reads in a FASTQ file

Hi,

I have a FASTQ file downloaded from SRA of paired 454 reads:

Each paired read is a single FASTQ record, including the linker sequence somewhere in the middle. What software can identify the linker and split the read into two FASTQ records? I've used sff_extract for SFF files, but the author has confirmed that it cannot handle FASTQ files.

Thanks,
    Shaun
    Last edited by sjackman; 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM. Reason: As noted by maubp, sff_extract uses SSAHA2 and not MIRA

Originally posted by sjackman View Post
    sff_extract uses MIRA to identify the linker sequence in the read.
    No, sff_extract uses SSAHA2 to split paired end 454 reads

I guess you could write a python script based on what sff_extract does to split FASTQ files containing paired end Roche 454 data.

Comment

Or you could convert the FASTQ file to FASTA format sequence and qual files. The fq_all2std.pl script (originally part of the MAQ distribution) can handle this conversion using the 'std2qual' subcommand.

Do you need to maintain the data in FASTQ format for downstream analysis or will FASTA be acceptable?

Comment

I'm guessing from the typo earlier he will be using MIRA, so either FASTQ or FASTA + QUAL is fine. That is not the problem.

The problem is the reads from the SRA or a raw SFF file go like this:

5' (tag TCAG) (optional MID barcode) (end of fragment) (paired linker) (start of fragment) 3'

They need to be split, giving the start fragment as the "forward read" and the reverse complement of the end fragment as the "reverse read" (to mimic Sanger or Illumina paired end reads). If you have the SFF file, then sff_extract does all that for you.

One option would be to extend sff_extract to take FASTQ input files, that might not be too hard. It is open source.

Comment

[SLAP_HEAD]Doh![/SLAP_HEAD]

You're right maubp. I got it in my head that sff_extract could work on FASTA files. My brain must have already left for the weekend.

It certainly would be nice if the SRA allowed you download SFF files, seeing as that is how they are uploaded.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
            It certainly would be nice if the SRA allowed you download SFF files, seeing as that is how they are uploaded.
            I've heard that they used to, and I agree it would make life easier it they still did - particularly for paired end 454 data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses