Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat and Multireads - what is happening under the hood?

Hi all -

I have had success so far with TopHat, and it is a great tool!

My RNA-seq workflow is to run TopHat and then Cufflinks. Recently, I noticed that some of the transcripts that are produced are "false positives" due to multi-mapped reads. In otherwords, the vast majority of coverage (RPKM) in those transcripts due to reads that map to multiple locations.

I could eliminate all of these false positives by setting TopHat's (-g/--max-multihits) option to '1', but I would rather not do this because it would sacrifice sensitivity in exchange for guaranteed uniqueness.

Ideally, I want to be able to know some statistics about how many of the reads in each transcript came from multi-mapping vs. uniquely mapping reads. Is there any information in the 'accepted_hits.sam' file about this? What about in any of the other temporary files that TopHat generates.

How does everyone else handle multi-mapping reads and TopHat?

Also, in the SAM output file, I noticed that the mate pair reference is always set to '=' even if the two mates map to different references.

Finally, would it be possible to add the 'insert size' parameter to the accepted_hits.sam file?

Best regards, and thanks again!

Originally posted by choy View Post
    Hi all -
    Also, in the SAM output file, I noticed that the mate pair reference is always set to '=' even if the two mates map to different references.

Finally, would it be possible to add the 'insert size' parameter to the accepted_hits.sam file?

Best regards, and thanks again!
    In tophat manual there is already an option for the expected inner distance between mate pairs. I think, it would help you.

-r/--mate-inner-dist <int> This is the expected (mean) inner distance between mate pairs. For, example, for paired end runs with fragments selected at 300bp, where each end is 50bp, you should set -r to be 200. There is no default, and this parameter is required for paired end runs.

Best
    Meryem

Comment

Originally posted by MerFer View Post
      In tophat manual there is already an option for the expected inner distance between mate pairs. I think, it would help you.

-r/--mate-inner-dist <int> This is the expected (mean) inner distance between mate pairs. For, example, for paired end runs with fragments selected at 300bp, where each end is 50bp, you should set -r to be 200. There is no default, and this parameter is required for paired end runs.

Best
      Meryem
      Thanks Meryem. I am actually setting this parameter already. However, even though we pass the expected inner distance to TopHat, each individual mate pair will have its own insert size when mapped.

I suppose that since TopHat maps to the human genome, it is not possible to approximate the actually insert size until transcript assembly is complete.

Best regards,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses