No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping reads to single human chromosome

Dear colleagues,

I have started working with RNAseq very recently and got stuck with the following:

- Should I map my reads to the whole human genome or only to the chromosome I am interested?

I've seen mapping to a single chromosome can skew my data, but it took 2 days for tophat to map the reads of a single RNAseq library to a single chromosome (I am on an octa-core PC running Ubuntu).

Should I definitely buy access to a cluster or there are ways to over come this?

Sounds like you are not using multiple threads on your PC (-p option, not all parts of tophat are threaded so don't expect "n" fold speed-up).

Do you have an extraordinarily large input data set?

Comment

I did use this option. I used all 8 cores of my PC, the machine (the cooling fan) sounded like a train for those 2 days. haha

Because our lab is interested in allele specific expression, we aimed for high depth of sequencing. Each fastq file generated (Forw and Rev) contains approx 170 million reads each.

I know in the long term using a cluster will be essential.. But now for primary analysis I am wishing I didn't need one..

Comment

If your primary objective of getting the mapping done is now over then you could move on to other analysis

If you expect to do this for multiple samples then using a more robust computational resource is a no-brainer. Using a single chromosome (or even the region where you gene of interest is) is a possibility but due to the short nature of illumina reads you may get false positive hits (to regions of common domains/repeats etc).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses