No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on BWA output

Hi all,

once again I have to ask for your help, since I couldn't find any thread on the board that is reflecting my problem.
    First of all: I use artificially created single end reads in Illumina FASTQ format that look like the following (the quality values are not as yet of any concern, that is why it's h):

@Identifier1:1:1:1:1#NNNNNN/1
    ACAATGTTTCTCATGCTCCAGTGAT
    +Identifier1:1:1:1:1#NNNNNN/1
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    @Identifier2:1:2:1:1#NNNNNN/1
    TTTCCTCATCTACAACAGTGATTGG
    +Identifier2:1:2:1:1#NNNNNN/1
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    To get used to BWA (I used bowtie before and that works fine with the data), I'm aligning them against a small part of the genome (the one I used to create them is included) which consists of several FASTA entries of exons, so basically:

>RefIdentifier1
    ACAATGTTTTTGATCTCTTTAACCTCATCTACCTCAGGCAACAATGTTTT
    TGATCTCTTTAACCTCATCTACCTCAGGCAGTGCTCATGGTGATTTGTG
    CTCATGGTGATTT
    >RefIdentifier2
    CATCTACCTCAGGCAACCTCATGGTATTTGTGCTCATGGTGATTCCCTA
    TCTACTTTTGAACAATGTTTTTGATCTCTTTAACCTTCTCTTTAACCTCCT
    CAGGCAGTGGATGATGACTGACTGACTGTTTGATCGTGACTGATCGTG
    ATCTTTTTTACGGGACATTAAAAGGCGGGCCCTAAACTGAC
    So far I've tried
    ./bwa aln indexfile readfile.fastq > BWAout.sai
    w/ and w/o the -I flag set, and after that:
    ./bwa samse indexfile BWAout.sai readfile.fastq > BWAout.sam
    It produces a SAM file that looks like this (independent of the -I flag):
    @SQ SN:RefIdentifier1 LN:124
    @SQ SN:RefIdentifier2 LN:133
    @SQ SN:RefIdentifier3 LN:189
    @SQ SN:RefIdentifier4 LN:140
    @SQ SN:RefIdentifier5 LN:120
    I tried to get some information out of this but couldn't find anything comparable on the web or the manuals so far. So to make it short: I have no clue what to do with that file and why it looks like it does, since the once described elsewhere look completely different, as far as I can tell.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards

That's the SAM header that you're seeing there, with the record type SQ being the sequence dictionary (SN = sequence name, LN = sequence length) of your reference. The read alignments should be below the header in the file (are they? - if not there's a problem).

For more info on the SAM format see the publication http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19505943 and the format specification http://samtools.sourceforge.net/SAM1.pdf.

Comment

Ok in this case there is a problem, as there are just headers in the file. Unfortunately, I don't get any error messages during the alignment, so I have no idea where to start looking for mistakes. Anyway, thank you for your quick reply.

Comment

Solved, I reinstalled BWA and retried the alignment after indexing the whole reference again and it worked, no idea what went wrong in the first place...

Thanks anyways.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses