Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding genome coverage using random reads

Thank you for looking at my question. I am trying to solve this homework question.

Consider the problem of sequencing genome by random reads. If G is the length of the entire sequence, L is the length of the read and n is the number of reads, then coverage is defined as nL/G . Now, if we want 50% of the original long sequence to be covered by at least one fragment, how much coverage do we need?

I read Lander-Waterman http://www.genetics.wustl.edu/bio548...005/Lander.htm model to understand the concept. But didn't quite get how to solve this problem. I thought to consider the given 50% as probability and y as 1 (the one from Poisson distribution) and calculate lambda (that is the coverage). But I don't think I am on right track. I thought of considering y as 1 because the question says 50% of the original long sequence to be covered by atleast one fragment, which means that those bases are sequenced atleast once.

I may be wrong.

Experts can you guide me please.

Thank you.

I think you are on the right track, actually. Search for the following sentence in the link you provided and you'll see it is doing what you describe here:

"Given 10x coverage, if we want to calculate the probability that a base is sequenced three times, we just need to substitute 3 for y and 10 for C into the formula:"

Also, you won't get much homework help here as this forum is not designed for that purpose. Your question is actually a very basic statistics question and would be more properly asked at some sort of math forum.

Also, in real life the coverage may not be close to being randomly distributed due to varying GC content affecting coverage to different degrees (depending on the sequencing method and preparation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Today, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses