No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blat vs. blast

Hello,
    As I was advised here I tried blat instead of lst and I was really surprised. For example I checked a 1500 bp contig, and while blast found only very partial hit (about 300 bp), blat found a 99% hit to the whole contig. So.. shouldn't I trust blast? how this can be explained?
    Thank you!!!!

BLAST filter on?

Comment

BLAT is much more "splicey" than BLAST

we'd have to see your output to make a call
      --
      Jeremy Leipzig
      Bioinformatics Programmer
      --
      My blog
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Zigster View Post
        BLAT is much more "splicey" than BLAST
        Yeah - I'd expect the results to be the other way round from that described typically (i.e. lots of separate alignments from BLAT, one big one in BLAST)

Comment

BLAST has this X-dropoff. If the alignment has a long gap or a long masked region (if you are not using -F F), blast will split it into two alignments. Actually if you apply -F F and chain the blast result, I guess you should get better alignment than blat.

Comment

blast vs. blat-continued

I tried the blast with and without the filter and the result was the same; for a 1500 bp contig blast finds only the last 300 bp (this is the only hit) while blat finds the whole contig,,,

Comment

Sounds a bit strange particularly if there is 99% nucleotide identity as you say.

Why not post up the BLAST and BLAT reports?

Comment

blast

I now noticed that if I do blsat through the viewmapper of the ncbi I receive the same result as in blat ( the whole contig from existent sequencing data), but if I blast via the regular blast I receive only the annotated region which is only the end of my contig. Now I'm tatally confused.So, if I blast from

or from
                The Basic Local Alignment Search Tool (BLAST) finds regions of local similarity between sequences. The program compares nucleotide or protein sequences to sequence databases and calculates the statistical significance of matches. BLAST can be used to infer functional and evolutionary relationships between sequences as well as help identify members of gene families.

the results are different...

Comment

refseq genomic vs.nr/nt

ok, I understood why it happens. It depends if the database is refseq_genomic or nr/nt. when I use nr/nt only a small region of the contig is found. When I use refseq genomic, the whole contig receives a hit, as in blat.
                  What is more correct to do then? I am interested to find an integrated virus. So, I have the data from the sequencing a genome (the reads and the contigs). Should I blast them with refseq genomic or nr/nt?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses