No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembling raw reads with Canu, but without correction

Hello friends,

I have raw ONP and PacBio reads for the human genome, ecoli, and yeast, and I want to test Canu's performance on them, without correction.

If I understand correctly, I would only execute the assemble step of Canu, and specify -nanopore-raw or -pacbio-raw, depending on the technology.

Is this correct?

Also, what other parameters should I set/tweak to get better accuracy in this scenario? Some candidate parameters I know:
    • rawErrorRate
    • utgOvlErrorRate
    • utgGraphDeviation
    • utgRepeatDeviation
    • utgRepeatConfusedBP

Also, is there a platform where I can ask this to the developers of Canu? Is github/issues the right place for such a question?

Any response greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by ekarais; 05-19-2019, 01:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Why not just specify -nanopore-corrected to probably make canu skip this stage ?

Also, why would you even want to do this ? You'll get really awful results, the correction is there for a reason.

Also, I think miniasm does rapid assembly on uncorrected reads, but then you have massive problems trying to correct base level errors in the asm afterwards.

Comment

wtdbg2 will overlap long reads and then correct/consensus as a separate step (I know this doesn't help getting Canu to do it that way, just following up on colindaven's comment).

Canu corrects reads before overlapping. I don't know if it can be shoe-horned into working on raw reads since it isn't expecting a 15% error rate when it overlaps. Just to offer additional annoyingly non-Canu advice, the flye assembler constructs an assembly graph before read correction.
      Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses