Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polymorphism in de novo assembled transcriptomes

Hi, i am a post-doc who recently turned to bioinofrmatics. My institute has a nice facility, but my lab is very inexperienced so I could use some external help!

Basically I will assemble transcriptomes from several individuals of my species de novo (no reference available). I wish to compare each individuals transcriptome and isolate polymorphic genes.

I have found several examples of this with people looking for SNPs. But when I say polymorphism, I mean hyperpolymorphism (upto 30% difference for example, but potentially interspersed throughout specific regions of the gene). So definitely the same gene, but these genes should be significantly polymorphic from that of another individual.

Most approaches seem to pool reads from all available samples to form the reference transcriptome, then map each individual sample to the reference. I can understand that this would work for SNPs but I am worried if we have genes that are hyper-polymorphic, they may appear as separate transcripts altogether in any reference transcriptome and thus the reads would not stack in regions of genuine polymorphism.

I have PE 100bp reads with illumina, I have not got the data back, but coverage should not be an issue. Assembly is done with Trinity. If I have a hyper-polymorphic gene, but it is highly conserved for example at one end, will my resultant reference transcriptome be sensitive enough to only produce a single contig for this hyperpolymorphic gene and allow my reads to be stacked accurately?

Or is there a better way to go about it? Thanks for any help to an NGS novice!!

SJLH

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses