SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Genomic Resequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling structural variants (CNVs) with single-end reads agwe Genomic Resequencing 5 01-18-2016 08:30 AM
Structural variation using paired-end reads RFo Bioinformatics 0 01-07-2013 05:09 AM
Calling structural variants from capture data Heisman Bioinformatics 3 04-16-2012 08:01 AM
Insert size for paired end sequencing for identification of structural variation mimi_lupton Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 08-31-2010 07:29 AM
Hiseq 2000 paired-end capture data analysis problem-too many variants! lazyworm Bioinformatics 1 08-11-2010 11:03 AM

Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
ThePresident

Question Looking for structural variants with paired-end sequencing data

Hello community,

I am dealing with 150bp, paired-end, Illumina sequencing data from a relatively small bacterial genome (around 2MB). I would like to identify structural variants, specifically small genomic inversions compared to the reference sequence.

My reasoning here is that inversions should be recognizable with broken pairs of paired-end data, specifically those that are on the same orientation. Basically, paired-end mates are normally on both Forward and Reverse strand (FR), but if they align perfectly on the same strand (FF or RR) then I might be looking at genomic inversion in that part of the genome.

My question: How do I pool out read pairs that map to the same strand?

Thank you,
TP
ThePresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
ThePresident

OK - just in case someone else is looking for the same thing: simply use --ff option in bowtie when aligning paired-end reads.

TP
ThePresident is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paired-end reads, structural variants