Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I distinguish assembly error from true splice or isoforms in RNA-seq?

Hii everyone!

I have received thousands of transcripts generated by a non-stranded RNA-seq and I have just annotated them (I used a in-house bash script to extract from blast results xml the most informative and frequent annotations from blast hits). However, I have found that many transcripts have the same annotation, e.g. two transcripts have been annotated as 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase and so on.

Please find attached a file containing some examples of blast alignments of these transcritps. Would you consider these cases as a result of wrong assembly? How can I distinguish assembly error from true splice or isoforms in RNA-seq? Moreover, can I consider two highly similar reverse complement transcripts as only one single transcripts since this is a non-stranded RNA-seq?

Best regards,

Marcio
    Attached Files

Many organisms have multiple copies of genes that may be slightly different. I would worry about classifying two sequences with only 89% or 95% identity as the same transcript. Assembly error rates should be far below that.

But it may depend on the organism... is it haploid or diploid/polyploid?

Comment

Examples you included in your file are good hits over most entire length of those contigs. What method did you use to assemble the contigs? What was the average depth that led to that consensus sequence? Since this is non-stranded library you do have a 50-50 chance of sequencing either strand.

Comment

I may have misinterpreted something... are the Blast alignments you posted of the transcriptome to itself, or to some other database?

Comment

Hi Brian and GenoMax!

The Blast alignments I posted are of the transcriptome to itself. Anyway, transcripts are from a tetraploid organism.

GenoMax, the sequences have been assembled by someone else. I will have to check with him how he has assembled the reads.

Best,

Marcio

Comment

If it's tetraploid, then depending on the organism's degree of heterozygosity, those may very well be the same transcript from different ploidies (which would not really be considered misassemblies)... or they could be two copies of the same gene with different genomic coordinates. I don't know that there's an easy way to tell. If possible, I'd try to inbreed the organism as much as possible before doing assemblies.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses