Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• display orientation of sequences in alignment

How can I display the orientation of sequences in a blast alignment? In particular, I am using Bl2seq to align multiple sequencing results and primers, and I would like to be able to quickly see the orientation of the aligned sequences and primers. Is there a way to do this from the BLAST website. Is there some other tool that will do this (preferably a free one)?

If you use the NCBI Blast2sequences website, you already get the orientation together with the alignment. Above the alignments you have "Score Expect Identities Gaps Strand". The strand corresponds to the orientation: plus = forward, minus = reverse. If it reads "plus/minus" your query sequence is forward, the subject sequence reverse.

Comment

However, I was hoping for a visual graphic which displayed the orientation up at the top where the graphic is. I think this feature is not available.

Comment

Maybe the "Dot Matrix View" (beneath the graphic summary) is what you are looking for. If the slope of a line is ascending, both sequences match on the same strand, if it is descending, they match on opposite strands.

Comment

The "Dot Matrix View" is only available if there is just one subject sequence. I was also hoping for more of a graphic that shows lines for each sequence with a forward or reverse arrow for each line. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Ok, one last try before I give up
            Is the organism you are working with available at the JGI database?
            Because their Blast output has arrows to indicate orientations. You will, however, be restricted to one organism (but as you mentioned primer alignment you're probably only interested in one?!)

Comment

JBrowse will display read direction combined with read number, but it's a little bit of a mission to set up.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses