Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maq multiple hits information?

How can i know which reads are multiple hit in maq output?

SOLEXA8_20:5:8:387:500/2 LG_I 2333 + 0 32 0 0 0 4 39 0
    16 36 aaaccccaaaccctaaaccctgaaccctaaagccac 8888888887888888.888778.887.87+%10)%

SOLEXA8_20:5:89:1317:1949/2 LG_I 10793 + 208 18 10 10 10 3 69 0
    0 36 ttttttagtctgttatgctacatgaaatgcaaaatt +++88888888888888888888888888822222/

i want to know which reads are unique mapped , which reads are not unique mapped
    Last edited by baohua100; 08-05-2009, 11:09 PM.

One way is to convert .map file to .sam file, the TAG field of sam file will tell you unique match info.

Comment

bwa sampe ../../genome/genome.fa aln_sa1.sai aln_sa2.sai 4_1.fq 4_2.fq > pairs.sam

also a [1]+ Segmentation fault

Comment

Hard to tell what was happening, but you may try different insert size by

bwa sampe -a 500 ref.fa aln_sa1.sai aln_sa2.sai 4_1.fq 4_2.fq > pairs.sam
        bwa sampe -a 100 ref.fa aln_sa1.sai aln_sa2.sai 4_1.fq 4_2.fq > pairs.sam

This may not be a solution, but no harm to have a try.

Comment

SOLEXA9_23:7:96:100:1864 83 LG_I 62090 69 50M * 0 -231 GGAGGAGGAAGATCGAGGAGGAGGATGGCGTAATGGAATTTTGGTTTAGG %&.......-..&..22222878882888828858888584888888888 MF:i:18 AM:i:33 SM:i:36 NM:i:2 UQ:i:9 H0:i:1 H1:i:0

how can i know this read is unique mapping ?

H0 is perfect hit number , but why NM is 2

Comment

SOLEXA9_23:7:79:53:135 67 LG_I 10790 39 50M * 0 192 TTTTTTTTTAGTCTGTTATGCTACATGAAATGCAAAATTCCATTAATTGC 88888888888888888888888888898222222.........-....- MF:i:130 AM:i:39 S
            M:i:0 NM:i:0 UQ:i:0 H0:i:0 H1:i:0

The NM (mismatch number) is 0, so the H0 (perfect hit) is at least 1, but why H0 is 0?

Comment

Originally posted by totalnew View Post
              One way is to convert .map file to .sam file, the TAG field of sam file will tell you unique match info.
              If only conver the maq format to sam format can tell me the unique mapping info, then I should known this info from the maq output ?

Comment

Firstly, this sam file is not obtained from bwa running, since bwa generates the optional field which are specific to bwa (start with 'x'). My bwa generated sam files confirm that.

X0: number of best hits (could be hits with mismatches)
                X1: number of suboptimal hits found by bwa
                NM: edit distance of best hit

By default, if best hit is unique, bwa will finds all hits contains one more mismatch, if the best hit is repetitive, bwa finds all equally best hits. For example, NM:i:2 X0:i:1 X1:i:10, in this case, the best hit contains 2 mismatches, and it is unique, while suboptimal hits number is 10 with 3 mismatches. On the other hand, if NM:i:2 X0:i:5 X1:i:0, the best hits number is more than 1, the best hit is not unique. I assume X0 is always greater than 0 (need to confirm?).

For the sam file not generated by bwa (for instance, converted from maq file),
                H0: number of perfect hits
                H1: number of 1-difference hits
                NM: edit distance of best hits

It is bit of confusing, orginally I thought perfect hit is the hit with 0-mismatches, but it might not be true when I look up the sam file converted from maq file, here is an example:

One read in map file
                SOLEXA3_92:8:94:116:1145/1 LG_I 10811 + 2550 2 74 74 47 1 30 1 0 50 TaCATGaAATGCAAAATTcCATTAATTGCAATTGGTCGGACAAGTTTCAC @:@AAA6B?ACB@@?@BC:CBCC?CCCCBBBCAB@@BBC>AACCABCBCB

its converted sam format:
                SOLEXA3_92:8:94:116:1145 65 LG_I 10811 74 50M * 0 2550 TACATGAAATGCAAAATTCCATTAATTGCAATTGGTCGGACAAGTTTCAC @:@AAA6B?ACB@@?@BC:CBCC?CCCCBBBCAB@@BBC>AACCABCBCB MF:i:2 AM:i:47 NM:i:1 UQ:i:30 H0:i:1 H1:i:0

Here the perfect hit is unique (H0:i:1), but the NM is 1 which means this perfect hit has 1 mismatch. I also observed follow reads in the sam file,

MF:i:32 AM:i:47 NM:i:2 UQ:i:60 H0:i:0 H1:i:1
                MF:i:32 AM:i:27 NM:i:2 UQ:i:38 H0:i:0 H1:i:0
                MF:i:18 AM:i:43 NM:i:3 UQ:i:43 H0:i:0 H1:i:1

Therefore, I may have to override my assumption again base on above reads. So I hope anyone can tell me how to determine the relationship among NM, H0 and H1. Comments and protests are welcome.

thanks
                Last edited by totalnew; 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by baohua100 View Post
                  If only conver the maq format to sam format can tell me the unique mapping info, then I should known this info from the maq output ?
                  Yes, you should be able to know, since they are actually same. NM in sam is obtained from field "number of mismatches of the best hit", H0 is from field "number of 0-mismatch hits of the first 24bp", H1 is from field "number of 1-mismatch hits of the first 24bp on the reference". The field definitions are in maq manual.

Again, if H0 is 0-matches hits rather than best hits, we can't explain the tag fields like
                  MF:i:2 AM:i:47 NM:i:1 UQ:i:30 H0:i:1 H1:i:0

Comment

maq map -H

-H FILE dump multiple/all 01-mismatch hits to FILE [null]

But I could not open the output file maybe it's binary ?

Comment

maq map -H

-H FILE dump multiple/all 01-mismatch hits to FILE [null]

But I could not open the output file maybe it's binary ?
                      I don't get your point.

If you want to view maq output, use maq mapview .....
                      Last edited by totalnew; 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM.

Comment

the file produced by using the '-H' option is gzipped ... maq docu's don't say this anywhere that I could find, unfortunately. Just name it something.gz and gunzip it ...

Comment

So maq can not tell anything about unique hit or multiple hit ?

Just a mapping quality score ?

How we choose use which mapping results, for later analysis
                          Last edited by baohua100; 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

the file produced by using the '-H' option ,

This file contains multiple hit reads? or ?

Comment

So maq can not tell anything about unique hit or multiple hit ?

Just a mapping quality score ?

How we choose use which mapping results, for later analysis
                              If there are multiple best hits, then the mapping quality is zero (it is ambiguous). So at least use a mapping quality of one. I find, through simulations, a MAQ mapping quality of 20 is sufficient. Note to others: different aligners approximate MAPQ differently so test through simulations.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses