No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuffdiff vs edgeR

Hi,
    I have used the new version of cuffdiff with biological replicates. After identifying differentially expressed genes, I did gene ontology based enrichment trests. I did not find any significant enriched categories. Then I used Tophat with all my libraries to get one bam file and used this in cufflinks to get one gtf file. I did this as we don't have a good annotations for the organism that I am working on. Then I used Tophat separately with each library and got bam files for each library. I used the bam file and the gtf file with bedtools and got read counts for each of library separately. I used these read count in edgeR to test differential gene expression. Gene ontology tests with differentially expressed gene showed more than 100 significantly cotegories and the up and downregulated gene categories are all relevant to the treatment I used in my experiment.

To directly compare the results from cuffdiff, I obtained read counts based on the coordinates from gene exp file from cuffdiff. I used these read counts in edgeR and used the DE genes in gene ontology enrichemnt tests. I obtained several significant gene categories and all of the enriched categories are relevant for the treatment of my experiment.

I am just wondering has anyone seen such discrepancy between cuffdiff and other read count based gene expression tests?

Can you be a bit more detailed? How many genes were reported significantly different by cuffdiff? How did you run cuffdiff?

Comment

Total 20700 genes were were tested with cuffdiff and 5000 genes were found to be significant between two treatments. I ran cuffdiff using gtf file obtained from cuffcompare. I had 3 replicates for two of my treatments. I used bam files from 3 replicates from each treatment together as comma separated files in cuffdiff. I extracted read counts from the gene exp file using gene coordinates with bedtools. Total 15500 genes were used for extracting read counts. As cuffdiff estimates several transcripts from same gene coordinates, the number of genes with read counts were less when I used gene coordinates for extracting gene counts. I used these read counts with edgeR.

I used top most 2000 significant genes from cuffdiff in testing for gene ontology enrichment. Similarly I used top 2000 significant genes from edgeR for testing gene category enrichment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses