No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to detect a replacement gene/region

Illumina PE sequences.

I am having trouble finding a program that detects a replacement gene/region. Either I need a different program than the ones have been running (Pindel, Breakdancer, indelMiner) or better command line parameters. The programs detect deletions and short insertions just fine but don't tell me "this gene has been deleted and replaced with a different gene from outside the organism".

It is easy to see the region in IGV or other visualization program. Visually the region looks like a deletion however unlike a normal deletion where it is possible to see the two PE reads map to either side of the break and see a single read get broke, in the replacement case one side of the PE reads maps while the side does not.

Any suggestion as to a program to use?

Thanks,

As an example of what I mean, here are two IGV screenshots.

The first ("deletion_found") show the reads mapped to the genome. You can see paired reads spanning the deletion (the thin lines between the reads). There are also some reads that are split apart. Not that coverage goes down on either side of the deletion breakpoint.

The second screenshot shows a similarly sized region (~4500 bases) and has a similar coverage pattern. However note that there are no pairs spanning and that broken reads then to have mismatched bases near the breakpoint. The lack of paired reads is because the pair is part of the replacement gene and since said gene is not part of the reference then no mapping occurs.

Pindel, for one, picks up the first region (deletion) just fine but skips over the second region (replacement)

I am using Samtools to pull out places where there are a bunch of mapped but mate unmapped reads. This might work for my purposes. I was just hoping that there would be some program that can pick up replacement genes for me.
    Attached Files

Comment

In the end I used a combination of cortex as well as pindel for determining indel/replacements. Neither program seems to be perfect and I am not totally satisified with the results in that I have the feeling that I may have missed something. Annotation was done with snpEff.

BTW: I really like the cortex manual. Well done.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses